Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:12 AM   #1

Recently my C-770UZ has stopped being able to use optical zoom. My wife just got back from Niagara Falls and it worked great the entire time while she was gone, but now it does not. You can hear the motor that would normally traverse the lens and the indicator on the screen shows it moving up and down, but the image in the view finder remains the same. I am afraid that somehow the lens has become disconnected from the mechanism that controls the lens traversal. Has anyone else seen this? Is it possible that I have misconfigured something to cause this behavior?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
apjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:18 AM   #2
Administrator

I doubt there is anything you can do - sounds like either a slipped or broken gear in the zoom mechanism. It will need to go in for service.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

I thought that would be the case. Thanks for validating my suspicion.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:57 PM   #4

Has anyone tried to fix this themselves? This happened to my C-770 two months out of the 1 year warranty. Olympus wanted $147 to repair it. I had them send it back because I thought that was too much and the warranty would only be for 90 days. Also they sent it back single boxed after I sent it double boxed! It is aggravating that this seems to be a known problem that is not caused by abuse and Olympus basically wants the market value to fix it.
d_vwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:01 AM   #5

I sent my camera in for repair and they sent back a different camera...a refurb. To make it worse, the sensors were all screwed up and it has never worked right for me. What a terrible service experience. That was my last Olympus camera...never again.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6

My experience was really tainted by their "support/repair" people. I have a feeling they are really "sales" and not "support". After first refusing to have my camera fixed due to what I felt like was a high estimate (especially since the camera was basically new and only slightly out of warranty) I called back and said that I wanted to remain an Olympus customer, I had spent a lot of money on the camera and accessories and that I felt like $40-$50 would be fair considering the circumstances. The support persons said he would have to approve it, and then came back on the phone to say that he could do $50 but would have to find my camera. 20 minutes later he called back and said that he found it and that I just need to pay for the repair. "Your total is 157.50. Would you like to pay with Visa or MasterCard." He tried to play it off as a misunderstanding that I was asking for $50 off of the total but I am sure he was just jerking me around. Sending the camera back in single box packaging on the return trip sealed my opinion of their repair service and you being sent a refurp. confirmed it. At least it still works in wide mode.
d_vwatts is offline   Reply With Quote