Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Olympus Camera Case Question

I just purchase the leather Olympus camera case for my 4040. These are probably stupid questions but here goes:

1. Does the camera go in vertically with the grip end of the camera pointing up?

2. There is a very small strap with a snap near the top of the case. Is this intended to attach to the loop on the camera where the shoulder strap attaches? If it is, this seems kind of odd to me that you would have such a large bag hanging off the side of your camera.

3. There are no provisions for a should strap and I doubt many people use the belt loop. Do you just hold it in your hand? I tried to let the shoulder strap from the camera hang outside the case and use this as the strap but it does seem ideal either. Since the camera goes into the case vertically, the end of the camera that is facing down (and the case) will want to rotate upwards 90 degrees.

4. Even with the top cover down, it does not cover the entire camera. The top part of the camera is exposed to dust and water. It seems odd that they would design it this way.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
kyun7128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:52 PM   #2
RSB

It would have been nice if Olympus had included instructions, wouldn't it? Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, but here is what I have done: I put the camera in the case with the LCD screen facing the front and with the viewfinder at the bottom. This means that the camera-strap eyelet above the card cover is at the top left of the case as you face the front of the case. I then snap the small strap that is attached to the case so that it loops around the other end of the camera strap just as that end comes out of the case on the right side.
Although this works tolerably well, the case dangles awkwardly when you are taking pictures unless you unsnap the small strap. If you do that, of course, you then have to do something with the case, which is no longer attached to anything. And, you are right. The case does not fully protect the top of the camera from dust and water that might come in from the sides.
The case does have the merit of being small, but I find that I can only carry two spare AA batteries and one spare smart media card in each of the side pockets.
RSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 4:18 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I guess how to officially use it is pretty much up to your own imagination. I guess that is why there are no instructions of pictures.

Your method works well if you want to attach the case to the eyelet of the camera but I prefer not to do this as it would look weird to have the case hanging off the side of the camera when I am taking photos. I put my camera in the bag the same way you do except with the lens facing forward.

I can't image why Olympus would design a case that would not completely cover their expensive cameras. What's a little bit more leather worth? I agree that it is very compact and I may wind up putting it in another bag, like my diaper bag, when I go out.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 4:41 PM   #4
RSB

Actually I don't attach the case to the eyelet. I attach it to the strap. When you take the camera out of the case, then, the case slides down the strap part way. Still inconvenient, but not quite as inconvenient as it would be if it were attached to the eyelet.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 4:55 PM   #5

Actually, that is a good idea to attach it to the shoulder strap. I might do that in cases where I do not have a place where I can stash the case. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:11 PM   #6
RSB

When you do attach the case to the shoulder strap, I found after some experimentation that the arrangement seemed to work best when the camera was inserted into the case with the LCD to the front and the viewfinder to the bottom.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:26 PM   #7

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:52 PM   #8
PSP

I've tried three different Olympus leather cases on three different camera models over the last couple of years, and the problems are always the same. (Oly D-600, C-2100, C-2020). The fit is so tight that it's a struggle to get the camera into the case, and there's no proper way to hook up a shoulder strap.
Here's a solution for C-series cameras: try Olympus Part number 200757. This nylon case is designed for the C-700, but it's a perfect fit for the C-4000, 3020, etc.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:15 PM   #9

Actually, my 4040 fits into the leather case quite nicely. It goes in and out very easily yet there isn't much extra wasted space either. My only complaints were that the camera is not completely covered when the top cover is closed. Maybe the cases for your model is different.