Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Who needs IS

Yesterday I went out to the North Wales coast (Porthmadog) and took a few snaps. For once the weather was sunny and dry. All the photos I took were with a polarising filter.

It's often said you need IS (image stabilisation) to make use of the big 10x zooms which some of the Oly cameras have.

Well, I try to use my target shooting technique to my camera shooting technique and it appears to work.

This picture was taken at 1/100 sec, full 10x zoom and no sign of camera shake. I've even had one at 1/50 near full zoom and ok.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63828620jVEtVp

The point I'm making is it can be done with the right technique and practice.

This pic I just like.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63829541AsEEJO

What do yer reckon?

And what a great place to live - lucky people

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63831404evvnWU
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:05 PM   #2

Hi Steve,

Great pictures. I especially like the second pictures--it brings back memories. When I was a wee lad, my family lived in England for a few years and one year we took a mad-dash road trip all over the place... started out in London, went up to Leeds, then to Scotland (Edinburgh/Inverness), came down on the east side and stopped by Snowdon and Cardiff, then to Penzance/Land's End then down to Exeter and back to London.

What technique do you use for stablizing at 10x zoom? It seems to work very well.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:14 PM   #3

I think you've been around this country more than me!

Aim the camera and half depress the button, then:

Hold camera steady as normal, hold your breath and very slowly push the button home and follow through.

Just like shooting a rifle, don't jerk that button - takes practice but seems to work.

When you hold the camera take the shooting approach by jamming your elbow into your side.

A little trick when using the LCD, push the camera away from you and use the neck strap as a brace.

Sometimes I can't be bothered with tripods.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:34 PM   #4

I think you would enjoy the south Wales coastline just as much if not more, especially around Swansea and the Gower peninsula which offers some great photos to be taken.
andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:17 PM   #5

Steve, beautiful shots and beutiful scenery...

I especially like all the editing you must have done to put in the sun and blue skies. :lol:
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:56 PM   #6

steve,
Great shots!Thanks.I guess we share the way we shoot on both accounts.Sort of natural isin't it.

Ray

D490Z,C5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:45 PM   #7

Stu, even here we sometimes see the big yellow ball in the sky :lol:

Andrew7, I've only ever stayed in S Wales once. A place called Abercrave I think. Did some pot-holing there many years ago with the Army - it was fantastic, both that is

Been to Abergavenny for the day once - nice too. I love the rugged Welsh countryside.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:43 PM   #8

Default Re: Who needs IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
It's often said you need IS (image stabilisation) to make use of the big 10x zooms which some of the Oly cameras have.
I've also taken great shots at full optical zoom, and full digital zoom (27x)...don't know what the fuss is about. You can see three of mine at various levels of zoom at http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info (look for the steeple pictures by MikeFellh).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 6:39 PM   #9

Great pics Steve, I just love the Welsh countryside too.

At last there are some people who will openly say that you can live without IS. I used to spend a lot of time browsing the dpReview forums, but got so fed up of people dismissing any camera above 6 zoom and only ever recommending their sacred UZI, that I have all but stopped visiting the site now.

I have a C-730 and can take pin-sharp pictures handheld down to about 1/30sec at 10 zoom, and like Mike_PEAT said it is even possible to take good pictures using full digital zoom as well (assuming you have decent daylight).

It is all down to technique. I personally follow the guidlines set out by Steve above but will sometimes put the camera on it's 10sec timer so I dont get any shutter-button judder. I also sometimes take the same shot 2 or 3 times so I can choose the best at a later time and delete the others, that is one of the bonus' of digicams after all.

Ed
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:14 PM   #10

Steve

Excellent pictures. Enough practice and you can get better. Great technique and IS it makes it alot easier as you grow older.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote