Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Getting disk-read errors...

Hey fellas,

I could use a little help here if you don't mind. Lately, I am unable to open my TIFF files in Photoshop....saying that there is a disk read error of some kind. Camedia cannot identify the file also, and therefore cannot open the file as well. However, the regular Windows XP image viewer can easily open the file for viewing. Recently, I've been saving the file under .bmp if I want to work on it.

The camera is an Olympus C-4000Z. Media Card is a SanDisk 128MB SDSM-128. Dorcy NiMh 1600mAH batteries. Windows XP Pro on a P4 1.6Ghz, 512MB, Seagate 40GB.

Also, sometimes when during the image transfer from camera to computer, Windows tells me the file is "in use" and could not transfer it at that time.

Right now I'm thinking this is just the 128MB acting up. Greatly appreciate any tips you guys can provide me.

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:12 PM   #2

You might be right about the memory...I just had to add memory to my computer last night...I had 128MB as well...Adobe Photoshop Album required more.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rych26
You might be right about the memory...I just had to add memory to my computer last night...I had 128MB as well...Adobe Photoshop Album required more.
No, no, no. I meant my 128MB Sandisk Smartmedia card is acting up. I have 512MB in my computer which is ample enough. And my pics are not coming up with any EXIF info either.

Sucks,

Oz
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:48 PM   #4

Duh!...sorry....

Have you tried reading smaller files off the card to see if it screws them up as well?

Also what about trying a card reader...they aren't very expensive.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:12 PM   #5

How many apps do you have open?
Could be another app not letting go of memory when it quit.
See if it happens after restart.
My $.02

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:19 PM   #6

Rych,

It doesn't seem to screw up any of my .JPG shots at HQ and SHQ quality. I'll try taking some pics on SQ1 and SQ2. The problem could also be very cold weather. We've been averaging -30C weather here, and at times I've been outside taking some photos at that temperature. Olympus manual does state that it is capable of -40C with no problems. However, even my indoor portraits are getting disk-read errors. It's quite difficult to compare with the included 16MB Olympus card since it can only shoot 1 TIFF at a time.

I recently acquired Windows XP Pro SP1 which some of our computers don't use anyway. I'll see if that helps.

And Ray,

I normally have no apps open when transferring. Just folders.

Thanks Guys!

Oz
Old Feb 17, 2003, 4:25 PM   #7

Oz.
Just a thought!Can you try dragging one picture off the card and try opening that.Then try two if that works and so on and so forth.Won't hurt to try will it?

Regards,Ray

D490Z.C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:44 PM   #8

:?: Again, it sounds like you are downloading them right from the camera...those are really large files...if the smaller files are working ok it might just be that the camera/PC connection is struggling with the huge files...you might try an inexpensive card reader.

I have had no trouble with my SanDisk cards, but am not using TIFF...take most of my pics at SHQ.

Hope you get it figured out ok!
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rych26
:?: Again, it sounds like you are downloading them right from the camera...those are really large files...if the smaller files are working ok it might just be that the camera/PC connection is struggling with the huge files...you might try an inexpensive card reader.

I have had no trouble with my SanDisk cards, but am not using TIFF...take most of my pics at SHQ.

Hope you get it figured out ok!
I am downloading straight from the camera. So far, I've taken been taking some .JPGs because I'm testing the Panorama feature in Camedia. And, it's all reporting ok. I'm contemplating whether to get the 41-43mm step-up ring and Polarizer or a card-reader.....ARRRRGGHHHH!

Oz