Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 17, 2003, 9:55 PM   #1

Default Olympus Stylus Digital 300 OR Canon Powershot S230 ?

I've seen the review of the new Stylus 300, and I've read many reviews of the Canon S230. Both cameras are getting great reviews...

In your opinion, which one would be the best choice for overall image quality? I take most of my pictures indoor, using the flash...

Thanks!
bruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:22 AM   #2

Either camera will make you very happy. Now, do you want a smaller camera with 2x optical zoom, or a slightly larger, heavier camera with a 3x zoom?
If most of your shots are done at home, then size really doesn't matter. Neither does zoom actually.
Again, today's digicams are all very capable, I can't see you being sorry about either choice. My guess is that the Olympus will have a stronger flash.
WWW.megapixel.net really likes the S230, very high scores...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:30 PM   #3

Thank you for your input.

You're right, size isn't the main concern. Both cameras are small anyway...

Actually, I'm looking at 3 cameras, the two I mentionned earlier, and another one, that is in another class, the Olympus C5050.

I want a great camera, the 5050 seems to be the perfect choice. But, it's twice the price. I have two options :

1) Buy a C5050, keep it for many years... (1x800$)

2) Buy a Stylus 300 or Canon S230, and get another camera in 2-3 years at the same price. (2x400$)

In the end, I would have spend the same amount of money.

Is it the same than with computers ? With PC's, it's better to buy a mid-class computer, and upgrade with another mid-class computer 2 years later than buy a rocket at twice the price, and keep it for 4-5 years...

What do you think?
bruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:54 PM   #4

Well, I'm assuming that you're fairly new to digital photography, so I'll tell you what I have learned in the 4 years I have been into it full-time.
If you're starting off, you will want a camera that's basically a point and shoot, because you will get impressive images with not much effort. You will start printing your own images and be proud of the quality that matches what photo labs can put out, in fact, most of my printed pics are far better, especially in clarity, than the pics my ex-wife takes with her 35 mm and takes to Walmart for developing.
The C5050 is a great camera, with a lot of features, but if it is anything like the C-4000, it is not a simple point and shoot, as I found out, it takes awhile to learn how it works, before you will get consistently good shots. Plus, 5 mp is great now, but in 2 or 3 years, we'll probably be looking at double or triple that and more innovations, etc, so you would probably be looking to upgrade.
If it were me, I'd buy one of the 3 mp cameras that you're looking at and use it to learn all about digital photography. Then, when you need more pixels or features down the road, you won't have spent a lot and upgrading will be easy. Or to save more money, start out with a 2 mp, like the Oly D510Z, which takes excellent pics right out of the box, or the Fuji FinePix 2600 Zoom, both decent cameras and under $200 now.

It's the same with pc's, new cars, etc, we want a 'new' one every 2 or 3 years, if we can afford it...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote