Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1

Hello,

I like to use my Olympus C-5060WZ with Olympus WCON-07C 0.7x wide angle lens for 19mmwide shots but the barrel distortion is somewhat annoying in some shots (see sample image with light tower tipped inward). Does anyone know of some good software (preferably shareware) that can easily correct this? Someone mentioned PTLens to me but I didn't get good results with that but I didn't have the proper software settings for that camera lens combo. I would basically like to get rid ofmost of the curving in the wide shots so that they look better and so I have the option of stitching a pair of 19mm portrait shots together to get a 14 or 15mm effective shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Images

herbsbuddy@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:50 PM   #2

Photoshop CS2 has the tools to correct that, but it is pricey.

Panorama Tools is freeware and has distortion correction tools. It is a Photoshop Plug-in, but it will probably work with most image editors that take plug-ins. Even Irfanview takes most Photoshop plug-ins. http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:26 PM   #3

Hello,

Can someone actually try to fix this image for me so that the tower on theright does not appear to be leaning inwards towards the center? If you can get decent results, please repost the image. I don't have easy access to all those fancy plugins and I have an older version of Adobe Photoshop anyway so it might not work for me. I was just looking for a simple program (shareware preferred) that could fix these types of common errors. The image quality is actually pretty good for 19mm but the bending is distracting. If I wanted to take a 2 shot panoramic with the light tower being in the overlap region, my stitching software would be a little stressed out warping the tower so that it stitches nicely. I am thinking I might get better results if I "prewarp" the images so they look "normal" before I stitch. Anyway, most of my wide images are not panoramics anyway so I just want them to not have significant barrel distortion. Again I am using an Olympus C-5060WZ with an Olympus WCON-07C 0.7x which is about 19mm of EFL. Thank you for any help.
herbsbuddy@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:07 AM   #4

here is my take. your image contains barrel distortion and perspective distortion.
I use ptlens (using the profile of nikon 995 + wc-e63 , 22mm field of view) to reduce the distortion. then use photoshop to do the perspective correction. ptlens is free and has standalone and plug-in version. the panotool plugin is also free which can also correct distortions and CA. Oh, the latest ptlens can correct CA and vignette too! excellent freeware!
oh, many plug-ins works for old version of PS, give it a try. the new photoshop elements 4 is affordable and good.

nick

Attached Images

nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote