Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:35 PM   #1

Default Oly 2100, 5050, Sony 717

To a novice (me) the Oly 2100 and the Sony 717 sure do look alike. Everybody raves about the 2100 but I think they rate the 5050 over the sony. Too bad the Sony doesn't have image stabilization. Is the 5050 better than the Sony and what makes the 2100 such a gret camera at 2mp? Is it just the image stab. and oly optics (which I would assume have either gotten better or stayed the same in terms of quality).

Just a thought -

Steve
Lodewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2003, 12:30 AM   #2

The big thing about the Sony is that magnificent lens it has on it. The downside is its use of the memory stick. There will be a new larger capacity stick soon, but it will not be backwards compatible with this camera, I understand. I'm betting that the next Sony 717 variant will be able to use both types.

The 5050 is more compact than the Sony, and takes three types of media. It doesn't require proprietary batteries. The lens is almost as good as the Sony's. The 5050 is almost as good at night photography as the Sony is too. And it's a bit cheaper.

The 2100 has image stabilization. But only 2MP. Enough said. For myself, I'd just bring along a monopod if I needed a steadier image.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 5:54 PM   #3
lg

Default Re: Oly 2100, 5050, Sony 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewick
...what makes the 2100 such a gret camera at 2mp?
1. It takes GREAT pictures-- properly exposed, very sharply focused, and excellent true color reproduction. Lin Evans said it may have the best 2MP CCD ever made.
2. EVF lets you frame exactly what the lens sees, even fully zoomed. It's bright enought to use in direct sunlight, and you can monitor all of your camera settings while viewing your subject.
3. It has the "look and feel" of my old SLR I replaced. It's comfortable to hold, and much lighter than you may imagine.
4. It's easy to use-- everyone in my family, from my 10 year old daughter to my non-technical wife have no problems using it.
5. It has virtually every feature you'd hope to find on a full-featured digital camera. Automatic, Shutter/Aperture/Manual settings; bracketing; burst mode; focus-assist lamp, TV playback, etc.
6. Everything you need comes with the camera-- including remote, batteries and charger.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:56 PM   #4
NHL

FYI

Quote:
The big thing about the Sony is that magnificent lens it has on it. The downside is its use of the memory stick. There will be a new larger capacity stick soon, but it will not be backwards compatible with this camera, I understand. I'm betting that the next Sony 717 variant will be able to use both types.
The current release of the F717 is already compatible right out of the box with both type of MemorySticks, ie the 'Pro' and the older 'Duo' with a switch!!!
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ht=memorystick

I wouldn't buy a camera with a MemoryStick and proprietary battery either, but one has to give credit to Sony for planning this all along before releasing their latest cameras and their compatibility prior to the release of the new additional formats...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote