Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:10 PM   #1

I have a soon to be dead Olympus D100/C1, wich i use as an always-carry-with-me camera. I'm looking for a replacement; i want acamera that can take a pretty beating and give me over 100 photos with flash on a night out (it can be done with AA's), or can survive a whole day of shooting.

The Stylus Verve sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. (small, rugged, unlimited video, good enough image quality) except for one detail, battery life. How bad is it? I've seen mixed reviews; some say it's dead after 40 photos, some say it's good for a day of shooting.

I'm willing to give up some battery life, but taking only 40 photos on a single charge is not acceptable for me. I'd like to hear from users of this camera, specially id you're like me and squeeze the last drop of energy out of your batteries.
Also, is there a way to shoot without the lcd? I never use it anyway, and sometimes i just shoot off the hip, without the viewfinder (anything to save precious battery!).
nlaspf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:37 PM   #2

I don't own the Olympus Verve, but I do own a Fuji F-10 which can take 500 photos on a single charge, and I own the Olympus Stylus 800 which can take 250 photos on a single charge. I hope that helps.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:44 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I don't own the Olympus Verve, but I do own a Fuji F-10 which can take 500 photos on a single charge, and I own the Olympus Stylus 800 which can take 250 photos on a single charge. I hope that helps.

MT
The Fuji F-10 was my first choice. It has a great battery life for what i read, and an iso1600 mode that's actually useable, but it's too expensive for what i want.

The problem with the Verve is that due to the small size, the battery is really tiny, probably too much.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:15 PM   #4

nlaspf-

Please...! The Fuji F-10 is selling for well LESS THAN $300 (US). Good equipment only costs a wee bit more.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:13 AM   #5

It's not here (i'm in south america). It's not easy to find, and the one place where i seen had it at well over $400, and I still have to add a big card to that. The Verve is around $260.

Yes, good equipment costs a bit more. But i'm not going to overpay a camera. Specially not when i'm going to have it on my pocket all day and give it an intensive use.