Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:51 AM   #1

Hi guys....I have a question for you C770 users.....When i record with MPG4 and sound, there is a lot of hiss recorded. In fact, this is evident regardless of whether I use MPG4 or standard SHQ movie modes, and plays the same even when camera is playing back on a TV for instance. Is this normal? or do i have to return to Olympus with the delays...to get it looked at...

I have tried to download other people's sample files to compare, but there are few about.

Also i have yet to try an external mic, but dont really want to lug this about to spoil this great compact's convenience..

Regards

Gary....
gs425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

Hi, I've also noticed this problem. The hiss was not present when I used an older version on Apple QuickTime (that came with the camera). Iinstalled QuickTime7.0.3 last weekand noticedthe hiss. What do you use to play your movies? At this point I don't know if the issue is with the Software used to play the movies or with therecording. It would be good to hear from anyone elsethat has the same problem. Thanks
emprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3

Is it worse than this clip?* This is a typical recording on my C770UZ in a fairly quiet room.* Certainly the onboard mic is pretty bad, and adds noise, but this seems fairly typical and not objectionable.* I am playing back using QT 7.0.3.* I've alway wondered if using an external mic would yield better sound, but haven't tried it yet.* Can you post a sample?http://home.comcast.net/~scotious/Di...ngcattrick.mov
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

Ok, that was interesting... I played your cat the movie with QuickTime 7.0.3 and all I could hear was 1st 5sec of your recording. After that I could hear no sound but I could see the movie. The only way I could hear the sound was by pausing and starting repeatedly. As an experiment I deinstalled 7.0.3 and reinstalled the copy of 6.4 that was bundled with the camera. With 6.4 I can hear all of the sound on yourmovie and also the recording I made sound ok, not only background noise is less prominent (hissing) but also a slight echo I was getting with 7.0.3 is no longer there. Hope this info. is of help. FYI my recordings are MPG-4.
emprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5

Wow-- VERY interesting.* I guess I never checked it past the first 5 seconds since I've updated to 7.0.3, but you're right. * *This was an MPEG 4 originally from the camera but I'm sure I scrunched it to something to make it smaller.* Sure won't play for me either.* I wonder how the hiss is, though, considering the original question.
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:37 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies chaps. I downloaded the cat movie....and it played fine on my QT 6.4. The hiss is much less noticeable on that movie compared to mine....in fact the spectrum analyser in the corner of QT window shows that the higher frequency noise is much lower than in my movies. My original post was to find out if this is a general problem, as if i send it back for replacement with Ama***, they say i will have to wait til mid Jan 2006 for another (right over Xmas!!!). Plus as thisotherwise excellent camera is not in production, i'd hate to return mine, and get an email in January saying it CANT be replaced!Olympus will repair in 2 weeks, but of course they MAY just say camera is liek this....live with it!

hm....
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:38 PM   #7

sorry emprex, i didnt actually reply to your question. I use QT6.4, which i thought came with camera...tho i may be wrong. BUT, the noise is just as bad when played direct through TV set...