Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 23, 2003, 8:06 AM   #1

Default C4000 -Book or Manual

Hello,
Would appreciate if anyone could direct me to a book or manual for this Camera. I don't feel like printing off 200 odd pages from my computer.
Also, could I please obtain feedback on the Camedia Pro programme.
I have Adobe Photoshop Elements Ver 2 and it seems to cover most needs.
Have just purchased the C4000. I am very impressed but still on a learning curve.
Many thanks.
Don
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:13 AM   #2

I don't know of any source for a pre-printed manual for the C4000z.

I did two things to overcome these limitations:
1) I copied the PDF manual from the CD-Rom to my hard drive so I would always have it handy to refer to.
2) I printed index card sized reductions of the pages that I refer to frequently and keep those in my camera bag.

You will discover that the more you use the camera, the less you need the manual.

I personally saw no value in upgrading to Camedia Pro. There was nothing that it does that other programs I already own ( ACDSee, Corel PhotoPaint, etc) couldn't do.

Dave
deebeeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
I copied the PDF manual from the CD-Rom to my hard drive so I would always have it handy to refer to.

I printed index card sized reductions of the pages that I refer to frequently and keep those in my camera bag.

Two very good tips for you there. As said the manual won't be needed for long.

Either get yourself a good general purpose photography book for beginners to learn the basic concepts or you can probably find most of the basic consepts on the web for free though.

It's nice to have a book to refer to though.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:34 PM   #4

"You will discover that the more you use the camera, the less you need the manual. "

I'm to opposite. I believe the more you read the manual, the more you will know about the camera and its functions. The more you know about your camera, you appreciate it more and use it more.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 2:19 PM   #5

There are to kinds of guys...RTM and never RTM!

I've always been an RTM kind of guy...I printed the damn thing off and stuck it in a binder...now if I could just remember what I read.

Index cards?...not for these old eyes! :lol:
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 3:52 PM   #6

I printed the 240-page reference guide and found it to be a invaluable aid in learning how to use the camera. I know of others who took the PDF file to their local Kinko's (or other copy shops) and had it printed and bound for $15-20. Yes it's an additional expense but some might think it's worth it to learn how to use a $400 camera.

I actually sat down once and went through the manual with the camera in my hand and learnt the basics of how it operates. Later I've had to refer back to it to refresh my memory, but found that initial "course" to be veryhelpful.

As always, YMMV...
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:31 AM   #7

I printed and read the whole manual when I first got the camera...I was amazed at how much I've forgotten a few weeks later. At 6 months now, I'm going to read the manual again to see what else I've forgotten.

One time I came across the exposure meter of my C-700 by accident, and thought I've discovered an undocumented feature, but I went back to the manual and found the section on it.

It's like a new car, sure most of the features of the car can be operated without going through the manual, but there's a lot of details that would be otherwise missed.

For a general online digital camera "book" http://www.photocourse.com
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote