Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:36 PM   #1

Default New C4040Z Refurb - How should I check it out?

I just bought a C4040Z refurb, mostly because I couldn't find a new one and I can't afford the C5050 prices I'm seeing.

It is still in transit (I'm tracking it on UPS).

I bought it from a place called "ImageCam" - should I be concerned?

How should I check this thing out when I first get it? I notice there is a feature to find and map out bad pixels. Would this be useful in checking out the camera?

The dealer says it as a 90 day Olympus warranty. Is this normal?

Thanks
Rob
robnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:53 PM   #2

The only way to check is to go through every function available. The reference manual may help guide you through that. You might want to also post pics up here to get some views from other C-4040 users to see if there are abnormalities.

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 5:07 PM   #3

I reviewed the Ebay dealer and he seems to be OK. The 90 day warranty is typical of the Ebay dealer who buy from Olympus and then resell the cameras on Ebay. Register the camera with Olympus as soon as you receive the camera.

Testing procedures:

Shoot pictures and them review them. Try the auto functions and manual settings. When using the auto mode be sure to press the shutter half way, wait for the green light in the viewer then press the shutter button fully. Shoot under different lighting conditions, with and without the flash. Read the manual.

The C4040 is a great camera. I own it and it has served me well. You can see some sample pictures at

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Good luck

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:23 PM   #4

Default Re: New C4040Z Refurb - How should I check it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnjay
I just bought a C4040Z refurb, mostly because I couldn't find a new one and I can't afford the C5050 prices I'm seeing.

It is still in transit (I'm tracking it on UPS).

I bought it from a place called "ImageCam" - should I be concerned?

How should I check this thing out when I first get it? I notice there is a feature to find and map out bad pixels. Would this be useful in checking out the camera?

The dealer says it as a 90 day Olympus warranty. Is this normal?

Thanks
Rob
You can rest assure that at most cases, refurbs are usually much more critically inspected than the mass produced counterpart. The room for defects or error is more crucial due to the fact that the unit had been returned to Olympus. I would look at refurbs as getting an extra quality control inspection.

This is what Olympus states regarding their QC with refurbished items:

Quote:
Reconditioned products are products that have been returned by our retail partners or our customers, for various reasons. Olympus then puts each product through a rigorous check of the appearance and all product functions to make sure that everything is working to our specifications. You can feel secure that your product functions every bit as well as a brand-new product...maybe better! Plus, products purchased directly from Olympus are guaranteed to include all components that a new Olympus camera includes, such as digital media, instruction manuals, cables, etc. All product includes a full 90 Day Warranty covering all defects. Extended warranties can be purchased through Olympus.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:37 PM   #5

Now I feel much better...

Bought this thing for $430, with 64MB SM and case (package).

I was looking for anything with fast lense, shutter & aperture priority modes, and ISO setting high as possible.

I had a Fuji 2800 Zoom, which is a real nice 2 MP camera, but had to reach everything indoors with the flash, or I got motion blur.
robnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:49 AM   #6

Olympus web site is selling their refurb C4040 for $499. If you want filters go to www.2filter.com. They sell adapter tubes, lens, and filters.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote