Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Olympus D-520 Flash is very slow

I have researched digital cameras in the range of 150 - 250 dollars for my first digital camera, I wanted somthing that was easy to use, small, and took a good picture. The one that stuck out the most apealing to me was the Olympus D-520, it looked great, had very good reviews and was fairly small. After reciecing it though and taking many pictues I got a little disapointed. I have owned 2 different 35 mm Olympus Stylus cameras and they worked very well, and fast at that. But when I use my new digital camera, there seems to be a very long wait when the flash is on. I can turn the LCD off, and have 1850 mah fully charged batteries in, and sometimes this camera takes between 5-25 seconds to recharge the flash!!!!! I contacted Olympus and sent my camera in because they said it wasnt normal, a week later I got it back and they didnt do anything to it, they sent me a sheet of paper saying that I need to use high quality batteries and to turn the lcd off when taking a picture, but I did all that. My friend owns a Nikon Coolpix 2000 and that thing has a 2 second flash recycle time most of the time, it is quick. Has anyone else had this problem with this camera???? I have to say though that my D-520 camera takes a better picture than the Nikon, I am at least happy knowing that!
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:45 PM   #2

For some reason the recycle times on Olympus cameras are very slow. My Canon S330 takes about 2 seconds, while my Oly C3020 takes about 6 to 7 seconds in between shots to recycle. I recently started using 1850 NiHM batteries (from 1600's) and the recycle times are only slightly better (from about 9 seconds to about 6). Yours seem to be really slow. Turning off the lcd (preview) does help a little bit. I think this is where the Oly cameras are very weak, but IMHO they take better pictures than the other major brands.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 12:32 AM   #3

I have a C700 and a D520. The C700 does recycle about twice as fast as the D520. I assume this is because the 520 uses two AA's rather than 4. The D520 usually takes about 6 to maybe 10 seconds. I would think that 25 seconds would indicate weak or low batteries. Did you time the recycle time? It could be that you are anxious and it SEEMS like 25 seconds!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:03 AM   #4

I timed it tonight and on fully charged 1600 mah batteries(not 1850 like I thought they were) and I got about 18 seconds timed on a stop watch. That still seems long when you are taking family pictures and there are kids in the picture, you want the fastest camera in the world!! I just ordered new 2100 mah batteries from www.newegg.com hoping this will help. Can there be that much of a difference between the 1600's and the 2100 mah batteries?
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 4:39 AM   #5

hmm.. 18 seconds seems excessive to me. I haven't used the camera extensively but have noticed it is slower. I will have to check it and get some times for you. I don't think higher capacity batteries will speed up the recycle time if the lower ones are fully charged.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:19 PM   #6

My new D40 takes 2 AA's and the flash recycle times are 10-12 sec. This is longer than my old D510, which took 5 sec. I am using the new 2100's with the D40. I used 1600's with the D510. I think the main cause is only using 2 batteries.

Don't the Canons use proprietary rechargeable lithium batteries? They would be faster.

I have been leaving the lcd on. I tried it with the lcd off, but the "last shot preview" feature on, and that saved 2 sec off the 12 sec recycle. I'm not willing to turn off the preview to gain another sec or two.

Hope the 2100's help you. Remember to give them 4 charge/rundown cycles to get to to full performance. They seem dismal at first.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote