Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

I thought it would be a good idea to have a place for people like myself who own the c-5000 to discuss issues and problems, post questions, and of course share your photos

gregg

so I'll start with something I noticed with my c-5000...I have had itfor less than two weeks...good deal from a Canadian dealer on ebay $150(!!)

While I really love this camera (I was using a c-3040)...the motor is not the quietest or the smoothest....I first noticed a buzzing sound when the camera is turned off...I called olympus and they checked theirs...it is normal...Now I notice (it may have always been there) a grumbling sound (for lack of a better word) when the motor extends the lens on start up...Has anyone else experienced this?

I am now experimenting with various teleconverters when I discovered that yhey where a perfect mate together

a 2x kenko sgt20 has a 46mm thread and the oly 1.45x starts with a 46mm thread...I mounted them on a 37mm sony w1 adapter tube that screws onto the c-5000 (although not flush as the sony must have a deeper thread on the camera)

when I get some photos I'll post them....I took a quick one today...surprisingly not bad....a little soft on the edges....but better then Iexpect with both together...

38mm camera x 3 = 114mm x 2 kenko x 1.45 oly = 330mm!!!

assuming I did the math correctly

I have tried some really bad converters.....I can tell you nothing is as sharp as the oly.....even the kenko is not...

Kenko's .5 wide converteris a waste as using it at full wide gives 19mm and even using a bit of telephoto there is too much bendingof straight lines...I hope to try the oly wcon-8e soon

gregg

Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:54 AM   #2

I am just guessing that the motor sounds are normal as Olympus confirmed it to some extent as they listened to theirs while I was on the phone with them. I aslo found out that they have a range for repairs for many of their cameras. They told me that any repair would cost between 39 and 190 dollars....I don't know if that includes parts or not...but just for your fyi

Anyway, I have found that once you truly get to know this camera...this maybe the best kept secret in camera buys today. I can't think of another 5mp camera with as many fine tuning adjustments AND a hot shoeAND a remote AND takes various add-on lens/filters in it's price range! (I still have a 3040, too)

It's not without it's shortcomings...drops to f4.8 in full telephoto, and although I rarely use the full auto itsets the iso to 160 in low light....i prefer the 50 or 80isosettings as the 160 can be a bit too grainy/choppy...I also suggest that you drop the default settings of contrast and sharpness tominus1...and then there is the internal flash although better than some isn't the greatest at 50 in a low lit room...that being said...

I applaud Olympus for the hot shoe....the reason I would thinkmost peopleincluding myself would buy this camera....I am currently using an fL-20...which allows me to get those great wide angle shots with a decent flash at iso 50 and I can also use the Olympus wcon-08 wide angle converter (again, from ebay for about $38)mounted with a sony 37mm tube and a generic 37-55mm adapter ring....I get an addition 20% in all directions bringing the wide angle to a nice 30mm (with no fisheye type of bending)!

I keep wondering if the overall focus would improve in lower lightusing this camera with the AF beam on the FL-36 and FL-40? Obviously, the c-5000 does not offer this feature. And can both of those lights be used in the Program -Aperture preffered mode? Is the AF light auto only or can this feature be disabled if I should desire? It seems that the FL-40 can be had for cheaper as it is older and the only difference for my sake is the bulkier size. I should also say that I know little about external flash photography except to turn it on auto and manual and enjoy!

thanks for any advice out there.

gregg

Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote