Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt1286
whoa...very informative..the only question i have now..is there a way to adjust aperture range? "/1.4 or even f/1.8" would be ideal, is it possible to do that with this camera?
I wouldn't think so. The C-4000's built-in lens is f/2.8, so no matter what aperture range the converter or any external lens might have, the most light that would pass through the 4000's lens is based on the f/2.8 value.

I've read elsewhere that a 1.4x teleconverter will reduce the light reaching the camera by 1 f-stop, and a 2x converter will reduce it by 2 f-stops. One nice thing about TTL (through-the-lens) metering that cameras like C-4000 employs is that the camera will detect the amount of light reaching the sensor and adjust the aperture and shutter speed accordingly.

Good luck on your decision. If you decide on the C-4000, I really think you'll be pleased with it--it's got great features. I find the My Modes especially helpful.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:09 PM   #12

Awesome. One last question (I hope) before I actually get the camera. A friend of mine uses the CF storage cards and has 512 mb and is has been talking about the 1 gigers. Is 128 mb the absolute limit for SM cards? Will that ever change?

thanks

andy
andyt1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:26 PM   #13

128MB is indeed the end of the line for SmartMedia. Fuji and Olympus, the two original pioneers of SmartMedia, have abandoned it in favor of newer formats like xD that offer higher limit.

That being said, I for one do not find 128MB "limit" that limiting, at all. I carry two 128MB cards and a 64MB card, and find usually a day's shooting is well stored in a single 128MB card. In SHQ mode at the maximum resolution, a 128MB card can hold approx. 55-70 images; at HQ (second-highest quality JPG mode after SHQ), it can hold approx. 160-200 images (yes the estimates in the manual are rather conservative!).

Your mileage (and personal preference on whether the 128MB is a decidiing factor or not) may obviously vary here!
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:32 PM   #14

sounds good enough for me i can most certainly work with that. maybe the price of those cards will go down soon too. How many tif files can you store approx. on 1 card? are .tif's SHQ?

andy
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:53 PM   #15

You can store 11 TIFFs at full resolution on a 128MB card--they are uniformly 11.5MB in size. TIFFs do not have quality settings like JPGs, as they are not compressed in any way.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:55 PM   #16

any true benefits to using .tif's ? do most people just do jpg? thanks for your super quick responses
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:30 PM   #17

In theory, since TIFFs are not compressed at all, they won't have any quality degradation associated with JPG compression. In practice, I find it impossible to tell the difference between SHQ JPGs and TIFFs, either on screen or printed out. HQ JPGs--well, maybe just a small bit of difference, but that might be my eyes "seeing" differences because I expect there to be some.

I find that other than truly exceptional shots, using TIFFs is not practical, since they take 15-20 seconds to write to the card and that's 15-20 seconds during which you can't take any pictures. SHQs maybe take about 2 seconds, and HQs are less than a second.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 3:17 AM   #18

Wow, Herbert, I'm amazed to know that you have tried every other digital camera made, so when you say the C-4000 is 'second to none', you are obviously an 'expert'...there were more than a 'couple' of focusing problem posts, and none of them were 'questionable', the problems happened to 'real people', that's why they were posted...Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:25 AM   #19

Johnny,

let me explain:

I have been working in the design and research of opto-electronics for almost 40 years, most of the time involved in systematic, painful testing. With this background, I felt entitled to make a judgement about the qualities of the camera we both own.

As for the "focusing problem":

There were too many rash and incorrect conclusions, which may have put off a lot of readers for no reason. I felt that some of the statements were really negative and polemic, as for instance: "welcome to the club", "Olympus created another Edsel" and so on...

Finally somebody involved had the nerve to say: "I never read manuals, I am too lazy."

This I call questionable.

Best Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:55 PM   #20

Default keep the camera perfectly still

At low light you will need long exposures. The following tips should help you take better pictures:

1) Keeping the camera VERY STILL during the shot
2) Use a mini tripod, or any other fixed surface to brace the camera
3) Take pictures of subjects that are mostly standing still
4) Take tons of pictures

If you're expectations are to match your uncles's pictures, you are going to be dissapointed. The Oly 4000 is a good camera, but not at all designed for this purpose. Even the 5050 or a 3040 would do considerably better with its F1.8 lens.

-Scott
punchdrunkfunk is offline   Reply With Quote