Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:34 PM   #1

Default C4000z with Concert Photography

How will the C4000z do at concerts?

Is there any problems or anything with the C4000z?

Andy
andyt1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:40 AM   #2

Well, assuming you'll be taking a lot of pics where the subject 'does not fill your frame', you may have focus problems, as did many of us C-4000 owners. If you're using a tripod, you may be happy with your results. Check prior posts about C-4000 problems that address this issue.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 4:14 PM   #3

Default c4000z

Hey there,

What do you mean by "subject 'does not fill your frame'"? I won't be using a tripod. How are the results of this camera without a flash in a concert setting with stage lighting? This will be my first camera, and am not willing to spend any more than the C-4000.

peace,

andy
Old Mar 1, 2003, 4:56 PM   #4

By 'filling the frame', I mean like a portrait shot or close-up shot, where your subject occupies most of the pic...as far as long distant shots without a flash, I don't think you would be happy with the results. I've only shot a few pics like that and they weren't worth keeping.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 5:00 PM   #5

Default Concert Photos

Andy,

Using the 4000z you will take home some good or even outstanding pictures. The 4000z is not second to any other digital camera for this task. These would be my settings:

ISO 400, WB incandescent, Aperture Priority F=2.8, Spot Focus, Spot Exposure Measuring, No Flash. It would be a good idea to have all this prepared as a MyMode custom setting.

Try to get as close to the stage as possible. Try to find some support, a monopod is very handy in this kind of situation. Provide extra batteries and enough storage for a lot of redundant pictures. The more pictures you take, the better your chances for some real good ones.

As for the mentioned "focus problem", except for two questionable cases in this forum, you will find no evidence for such a thing.

Good Luck, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:20 AM   #6

Default thanks

thanks very much!! i really appreciate it. Herbert, those settings should make pretty satisfying results? My uncle uses professional SLR cameras and has been photography in concerts for quite some time, I'm just his sidekick and would like to do some photography myself. Do you have any pictures of your own you can show me? I'de be interested.

andy
Old Mar 3, 2003, 12:08 PM   #7

Andy,

Just so that you know and don't have any undue expectations of the C-4000 (which I have & love)... the C-4000 (or any other digital cameras I've used) is nothing like a film SLR in terms of responsiveness and being able to shoot in a wider range of ambient conditions. I just recently got a film SLR, a Canon EOS Rebel Ti, to complement the C-4000 and was very surprised by how much faster it is at focusing and taking pictures (up till then my only experience with film cameras was a point-and-shoot camera I had purchase 14 years ago). There's no "shutter-lag" as we think of it (in digital camera world) with the film SLR camera. The ability to change lenses to suit the shooting condition is a huge factor, too. The f/2.8 lens in C-4000 is good for most situations, but something like a f/1.4 or even f/1.8 that you can put on a SLR will make a world of difference in indoors shooting.

That said, C-4000 is a great little camera and will give you excellent results, as long as you are aware of what it can and cannot do.

You can check out the pictures I took with my C-4000 at the link below:

www.pbase.com/hyunyu

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:47 PM   #8

Default hi

thanks, Hyun! Great pictures there, really inspiring me to get this camera. That 2x zoom add on looks impressive, are there any lenses that go beyond that for this camera? With the option to use other lenses, what kind of limits are there? I'm just getting into photography, bare with me...thanks!!

Andy
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:08 PM   #9

Andy,

Eagle Eye OpticZooms (http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2row/erol.html) out of UK makes 5x OpticZoom converter. This theory would give the C-4000 a 15x optical zoom (160mm - 480mm in 35mm equivalents). That's a huge zoom--you'd be hard pressed to achieve a decent, steady shot without using a tripod and a timer. The price is "only" 138 pounds sterling (which converts to approx. $220)--which is not bad at all. I haven't seen it personally nor have I seen any "real-world" sample pictures--just what the manufacturer has on their website.

The Olympus B-300 is a 1.7x teleconverter that is highly sought after (it's out of production). It's supposed to have better optics than the Tiffen 2x converter.

Eagle Eye claims to have B-300 in stock, and also says that their 5x OpticZoom converter can be used with the B-300 and a native 3x optical zoom camera for a total of 25.5x optical zoom. Definitely don't go there without a tripod!

You'd need a 41mm-to-43mm lens adapter (Olympus CLA-1 or Tiffen model), then 43-to-46mm step-up ring, and a "46mm Special Lens Thread Adapter Ring" from Eagle Eye--it's all listed on their website. They have pretty comprehensive info on their site on what cameras work with the 5x converter and what's needed--just keep in mind that the settings for the C-4040 group will work with the C-4000 (for some reason the C-4000 is not listed there, nor with many manufacturers compatibility lists--maybe it's too new?).

I should clarifiy: the settings for the C-4040 group should work with the C-4000, since they both have 41mm lens thread base and the lens barrels extend the same distance. The Tiffen setup I have works the same on the -4040 and the -5050.

Finally: here is a quote from Jeremy McCreary's excellent website on digital photography (www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw):

"EagleEye of the UK offers an expensive but very tempting 5x OpticZoom teleconverter. Targeted initially at the Oly rangefinders and the Nikon CoolPix 950 and 990 but adaptable to quite a few other cameras, this cylindrical black-anodized aluminum-bodied lens has 37 mm inner and outer threads. At ~250 gm and 49x170 mm at full length, the OpticZoom should cure any case of lens envy.

"To mount the OpticZoom on a CLA-1 lens tube on an Oly rangefinder, you'll need a [email protected] mm step-up ring and a special separately-sold flat @-37 mm adapter ring, where @ can be 43, 46 or 49 mm, depending on your existing equipment. (Reading between the lines, EagleEye seems to be recommending @ = 46 mm for these Olys.) To minimize vignetting, I'd be very tempted to try the thinnest possible step-up here, particularly on the C-20x0Z, which seems to have a bit more zoom lens clearance than the C-3000Z and C-3030Z.

"The manufacturer claims that the OpticZoom requires a minimum 2.5x zoom lens setting on the host camera, presumably to escape vignetting. However, most RPD reports tell of minimal vignetting on the C-20x0Z at full (3.0x) zoom. EagleEye acknowledges similar vignetting with the Oly C-2500L.

"Brian Mathers of RPD reports "negligible" light loss and, past about 50% full zoom, no vignetting at all with the OpticZoom on his 2.3MP FujiFilm MX-2900Z, which has a 3x, 35-105 mm zoom lens similar to that on the C-20x0Z. Using a $14 37-55 mm step-up ring from EagleEye, Brian mounted an Oly B-300 1.7x teleconverter outboard of his OpticZoom for a walloping final 25.5x magnification to 893 mm! Brian finds this lens combination "ideal" for birding.

"With the 5x OpticZoom on a C-20x0Z, you'd need other teleconverters to cover 105-525 mm focal lengths without vignetting."
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:30 PM   #10

whoa...very informative..the only question i have now..is there a way to adjust aperture range? "/1.4 or even f/1.8" would be ideal, is it possible to do that with this camera?

much appreciated, Hyun.

Andy Tabar