Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:37 PM   #1

Default Low light picture with 550D

Wondering if changeing the resolution will help in taking pictures with out a flash. I take pictures at concerts with only the stage light present and most cases I'm only about 8-10 feet from the performer. Would changing the resolution higher or lower help in getting a clearer picture.
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:56 PM   #2

It won't make any difference--the only thing you'll notice is that the camera will finish writing the picture to the memory card quicker.

Change the ISO setting to 400 instead of leaving it on Auto. That'll make it more sensitive to light and might help you with low-light photography.

The 550 has a f/2.9 lens at wide angle, I believe. That's not spectacular for low-light shooting (unlike, say, C-5050 or -4040 which has f/1.8, but then again, those cost 2-3x as much as the 550). If the performers are moving around a lot, or if the stage lighting is not that great, you might find you get lots of blurred photos.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun
It won't make any difference--the only thing you'll notice is that the camera will finish writing the picture to the memory card quicker.

Change the ISO setting to 400 instead of leaving it on Auto. That'll make it more sensitive to light and might help you with low-light photography.

The 550 has a f/2.9 lens at wide angle, I believe. That's not spectacular for low-light shooting (unlike, say, C-5050 or -4040 which has f/1.8, but then again, those cost 2-3x as much as the 550). If the performers are moving around a lot, or if the stage lighting is not that great, you might find you get lots of blurred photos.
Thanks for the info.
Now how do you set it to 400 and not Auto ?? I notice on Auto it was shooting at 270-370 ISO.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 8:18 PM   #4

Turn the camera on. Press "OK" button to bring up the menu. Choose "Mode Menu". Access the "Camera" tab, then choose 400 under ISO.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Turn the camera on. Press "OK" button to bring up the menu. Choose "Mode Menu". Access the "Camera" tab, then choose 400 under ISO.
I guess I must be missing something from your directions. When I turn on the camera/ok/mode menu the only tabs I get are Play, Edit, Card, Set. Note: the lens cover is closed and is not pull half open or all the way open.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:22 PM   #6

You are in the playback mode--the camera has to be in record mode (that is, the cover pulled all the way open).
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:51 PM   #7

Quote:
You are in the playback mode--the camera has to be in record mode (that is, the cover pulled all the way open).
That was it !!
Thanks !!
Another unrelated question:
What is the difference if I keep the Digital Zoom off or on under the camera tab ??
Old Mar 4, 2003, 7:14 PM   #8

Avoid digital zoom like a plague. Digital zoom is not a zoom at all, but just a marketing gimmick.

What digital zoom does is it takes a center portion of the picture, and blows it up to the full size--so the picture will look pixelated and you'll see lots and lots of unsightly grainy jagged edges.

Just leave digital zoom off--you can achieve the same effect through photo-editing software but there you'll have the benefit of being able to interpolate (that is, the program will try to guess and fill-in detail based on the surrounding pixels).
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:56 PM   #9

Default Tips on concert photography from a pro-

At low light you will need long exposures. The following tips should help you take better pictures:

1) Keeping the camera VERY STILL during the shot
2) Use a mini tripod, or any other fixed surface to brace the camera
3) Take pictures of subjects that are mostly standing still
4) Take tons of pictures

-Scott
punchdrunkfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:16 PM   #10

Default Thank you All

Just want to thank you all for your help. Now I have a better understanding about my question.
Dig people rule !!!