Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:00 AM   #1

Default Its very difficult to get my olympus to focus on close ups o

Its very difficult to get my olympus to focus on close ups objects. But when it does. I must say damn!!!! ANy tips would be apreciated. I have an olympus 4000z. I like the camera but get it to focus on these closeups is difficult to say the least.

Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2003, 2:08 AM   #2

Try this: program one of your "My Modes" to super macro, and continuous auto-focus on. Then it's just a matter of holding the camera still and letting it find the focus...

I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten out of super-macro with my C-4000, too:

Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 2:19 AM   #3

Default Re: Its very difficult to get my olympus to focus on close u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregersonsalvage
Its very difficult to get my olympus to focus on close ups objects. But when it does. I must say damn!!!! ANy tips would be apreciated. I have an olympus 4000z. I like the camera but get it to focus on these closeups is difficult to say the least.
I know on the C-700 that it requires the camera to be at full wide angle for the closest macro...maybe the 4000 is the same; from the C-700 manual:

Zoom “W” (max.)
Macro 0.1 m to 0.6 m (0.3 ft to 2.0 ft)

Zoom “T” (max.)
Macro 1.2 m to 2.0 m (3.9 ft to 6.5 ft)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 4:11 AM   #4

Default Close-ups

Focusing on close-up objects IS more difficult because of the decreased depth of field. My suggestion would be: spot focus,
aperture priority, F=5.6, ISO as high as nescessary for safe shutter speed. Spot-focus (shutter release half-way down) on something at the correct distance.

Your pictures came out really well. You should try to take the same shots with other cameras to really appreciate the macro performance of the C4000.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5

Default Re: Close-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertRD
Focusing on close-up objects IS more difficult because of the decreased depth of field. My suggestion would be: spot focus,
aperture priority, F=5.6, ISO as high as nescessary for safe shutter speed. Spot-focus (shutter release half-way down) on something at the correct distance.
Hmm. I'll have to try your suggestions, Herbert. I had left the camera on Program Auto mode for my close-up shots above, and all were taken at f/2.8. I realize narrower aperture will increase depth of field. But I also don't mind the effect I achieve with with wider aperture--the blurred background tends to make the focused point object stand out more! Not to mention faster shutter speed possible with wide apertures. The three macro shots of mine above were taken with ISO 200, 100, 200, respectively.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 5:15 PM   #6

Hi gregeronsalvage...

Just curious...are you shooting w/tripod and/or selftimer?

Using both of above may help presuming autofocus is
on.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 5:58 PM   #7

Default Close-ups

Hyun,

You are right, it depends. It depends, wether it's 3 feet, macro or super macro, and it depends, how much depth of field you wish. My proposal was very general. I had guessed that Gregerson's focusing difficulty came from too little depth of field.

At least with super macro a more narrow aperture is almost inevitable, because with F2.8 the depth of field is only a few millimeters, very hard to manage without a tripod. You were lucky with your snail picture, snails are so speedy when being close-up photographed.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 6:05 PM   #8

Herbert,

If you look really closely at the snail, I think that it has been drugged.

Great pictures, y'all.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 7:29 PM   #9

Actually those pics I took where done by hand and multiple tries to get it to focus in right using the screen. I was at most 2-4 inches away from the object.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rych26
Herbert,

If you look really closely at the snail, I think that it has been drugged.
Why, was it too fast to take a picture of?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote