Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:27 AM   #1

Default considering C-730, but is there something better?

I not a photographer, and I don't know too much about digital cameras, so I hoping for some good advice.

The camera will be mostly used when travelling, and I will mostly be used to point and shoot -- no fussing wih settings.

Aside from that I know I want a good bit of zoom. Current film camera has 2x optical zoom and the wife and I both think that has not been nearly enough in the past.

So, I've been looking at the C-730. Quick price check shows I can get it for about $440, which seems really good, but is there something better for my needs?

thanks for the help!
cf3909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2

Personally, if I were in the market for long-zoomed digital camera, I'd consider two options, both of which have been announced very recently by the manufacturers and should be available in the next couple of months.

Olympus C-750 (10x optical zoom, 4 megapixels). Other than increased megapixel count, it offers the following advantage over the current C-730 (which also has 10x optical zoom): hotshoe for accepting external flash. The digital cameras' built-in flash is not really good for anything other than fill-flash outdoors--weak range, tends to cast harsh light directly on the subjects' faces and make the photo seem "flat", etc. With external flash, the difference you can get with bounce-photography is amazing. Not to mention the greater power of external flashes over the built-in ones.

The C-750 also offers a slew of manual controls and settings, as well as being able to take photos in fully automatic point-and-shoot mode. MSRP is $599, I believe.

Panasonic FZ-1 (12x Leica optical zoom, 2 megapixels, Image Stablization). This camera has the highest zoom power of all consumer (non-digital SLR) digital cameras, and what's more, it even has image stabilization built in! The latter will come in very handy at such long zoom. 2 megapixels is a bit wanting, and it doesn't offer too many manual controls, but just the 12x zoom alone might make it worth it. I've read that the street price will be around $450.

You might also want to consider the Fuji S602. 6x optical zoom, superb close-up macro mode, an all-around great camera.

I love my Olympus C-4000, but with "only" 3x optical zoom, it might not be what you are looking for.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:33 PM   #3

The C750 should be out in the next couple of months. If you have time you might want to wait. The C730 is a good ultrazoom camera without Image Stablization (IS). The specs on the C750 does not have IS either. Panasonic is also releasing a ultrazoom with IS in next few months. The initial reviews are good.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:00 PM   #4

Default thanks for the advice so far

I've looked at the new models and would like to wait, but have a trip coming up in 2 weeks, so I gotta get the camera now.

BTW-- How come most cameras seems to have so little zoom? 2x or 3x seems like it's only good for stuff that's close by. I'd think you'd the minute you go on a trip, or to a sporting event, you'd want more than 2-3x on the zoom....right?

Again, I'm not a photographer, so am I missing something?
cf3909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:24 PM   #5
lg

If you MUST get a new camera, then purchase the 730 today and spend the next two weeks learning to use it-- don't go on a trip with a brand new camera and expect to learn it while traveling!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:54 PM   #6

Default Re: thanks for the advice so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3909
BTW-- How come most cameras seems to have so little zoom? 2x or 3x seems like it's only good for stuff that's close by. I'd think you'd the minute you go on a trip, or to a sporting event, you'd want more than 2-3x on the zoom....right?

Again, I'm not a photographer, so am I missing something?
One reason is cost...most people are buying cameras in the $200-300 range, they aren't looking at the $500 and up where the longer zooms are. Another is size, many people want a camera that can fit in a pocket, and you can't get a longer zoom lens in a pocket camera. Third is lack of knowledge, not only in not separating digital and optical zoom, but when they do buy a camera with a large optical zoom they complain about blurry pictures at full zoom when they are shooting in low light without a tripod.

In my case I already had an SLR with a 35-70mm lens, so I knew I wanted a lot more zoom, and I knew the limitations of it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 7:42 PM   #7

Two things I read that were wanting on the C730 are:

- Non illuminated AF which makes it difficult to shoot dark scenes
- Comparably slower shutter lag

Any idea if these have been solved/improved in the C740/C750?
balarila is offline   Reply With Quote