Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:56 PM   #1

I recently received an Olympus IR-500 digicam and can find no way at all to get it to connect with the computer.

The first time I tried, I was running Windows 2000 Pro. I installed all of the software and connected everything...no messages and the software doesn't see anything connected via USB. The camera prompts me when I dock it, indicating it sees the USB connection. Also, the mini USB - USB cable successfully works on my motorola V3 phone. Both USB ports on my computer are in working condition.

I dug through various copies of manuals I had for it and found somewhere that it might not support windows 2000, so I went and bought Windows XP.

Installed XP, set up camera, and again, the same message as with Windows 2000:

"The software is unable to find an Olympus digital camera connected to a USB port on your computer. Would you like to search again?"

I e-mailed Olympus but they have a 48 hour delay and I have a feeling the answer will not be sufficient...
PatternOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:18 AM   #2

Just as I thought...still no resolution to this problem and no resolution anywhere else I can find online. *sigh*

I figure I'll just go buy a multi-card reader that'll read XD cards...it'd be cool if I could just use my dock since I need to use it to charge the camera anyhow...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:56 AM   #3

I'm using windows 2000 and the olypmus software recognizes the camera soon as I plug it in.

Have you tried different usb ports? Are you using a usb hub or usb port on computer? For some reason of the 4 USB connectors on my computer some seem to work with different usb devices better than others.

I have a card reader built in to my brother MFC printer but havejust used the usb connector to the camera. Hope you find a solution if not card readers are pretty cheap.
rlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:52 PM   #4

Hahaha...so I finally decided to throw in the towel and buy a XD card reader on ebay. I'd e-mailed Olympus once again and *gasp* they responded. All I had to do was:

Enable show hidden files and folders
Go into the windows folder and then into the inf folder
Right click "USBStor.inf" and install it

Seems to be in working order now