Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Administrator

The flash didn't fire in the previous photo I commented on (which is why the shutter speed was so slow, since the camera needed to leave the shutter open much longer to expose the image without a flash).

To see the camera settings used, open an image with Irfanview, then look under Image, Information, EXIF

Note that the focal length shown is the actual (versus 35mm equivalent) focal length for your lens.

To get the 35mm equivalent focal length (which is needed to help you determine shutter speeds needed to prevent blur from camera shake without a flash), you'll need to multiply the focal length shown in the EXIF by 6.25 with your model. That's because the actual focal length of the lens on your Olympus is 6.4-51.2mm (equivalent to 40-320mm in 35mm camera).

As for the last photo posted, the flash did fire. How close were you? You may have been too close for focus without using the macro mode.

Did you have focus lock (half press the shutter button, wait for focus lock which is indicated by a green dot with your model, then press the shutter button the rest of the way down)?

If you were too close for focus (or there was another problem like lack of contrast) then the camera should not have indicated focus lock. See if you're getting a lock or not (green dot in viewfinder after a half press).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:24 PM   #12
Mav

I was not to close, it was zoomed, i forgot to zoom out, but as for the focus lock, the green dot is allways blinking, it's very rare to have it not blinking and when i have it steady the photo will come out like that too! Tomorrow i'll take an outside photo in daylight so you can see that it does the same!

Thanks for your help!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Administrator

Mav wrote:
Quote:
I was not to close, it was zoomed, i forgot to zoom out, but as for the focus lock, the green dot is allways blinking, it's very rare to have it not blinking and when i have it steady the photo will come out like that too!
Blinking means it can't see well enough to lock focus.

That can be caused by a number of things:

* Light is too low for the camera's AF algorithms to see contrast in a subject well enough to determine the correct focus

Comment: light is very low indoors, and is partcularily low in this room (as evident by the camera needing a 1/2 second shutter speed for proper exposure at f/3.5 and ISO 200 when the flash was not used). What the human eye thinks is bright is not to a camera.

* Camera shake is preventing the camera from seeing enough contrast to lock focus.

Comment: indoors in low light, at anything other than the widest zoom settings, it's hard for a camera to see well enough to focus, unless you have it on a tripod. Stay at the widest zoom settings indoors to improve the camera's ability to see, and reduce the impact of camera shake (which is magnified as more zoom is used).

* Your subject doesn't have enough contrast.

Comment: in low light, you need as much contrast as possible. If you can't get focus lock on your subject (steady green light with your model), try focusing on something at about the same distance from the camera with more contrast.

Then, *after* you get a good focus lock, reframe the image so that your intended subject is where you need it (holding the shutter button down to keep focus locked while reframing). Then, press it the rest of the way down to take the photo when you're happy with the framing.

I still haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think the camera has a problem. I wouldn't rule it out yet. But, so far, nothing has shown it to be an AF calibration issue.

Your last photo is what I'd expect to see in similar conditions without a focus lock when using a flash (if you don't have a good focus lock, you're not going to get a sharp photo).

The previous photo would have been blurry with or without a focus lock (shutter speeds were too slow).

Now, if you get blurry photos *with* a focus lock; *and* shutter speeds are fast enough to prevent blur from camera shake; that would be more indicative of a camera calibration issue. So far, I've seen no evidence of that kind of problem.

Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:45 PM   #14
Mav

Ok, tomorrow i'll post some more photos for you to see, becausei have here a Nikon Coolpix 775 and a Fuji Finepix 40i too and both of them take verygood and sharpphotos in the same conditions as the Olympus!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Administrator

Great.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.

I just want to help you find out what's causing your problems, and most of the time, blurry photos are not being caused by a camera malfunction (so I wouldn't want you to send it back for repair unless it really has an issue, otherwise it would be a waste of your time).

Keep in mind that you've got a lot more optical zoom with this model compared to the other cameras you mentioned, and camera shake is amplified as more zoom is used. That can cause issues that you haven't seen before with other models.

Again, I don't want to rule out a camera problem. I just haven't seen any evidence of one yet. Your samples and descriptions have not shown something like AF calibration to be the issue (and the slower shutter speeds in one photo point towards camera shake as being your primary issue when not using a flash).

If you had AF lock (steady green light) and fast enough shutter speeds when getting blurry photos, then it would be more likely that the camera has a fault.

But, I haven't seen a photo with fast shutter speeds where you said you had focus lock (if it's blinking, it's not locked and you can expect blurry photos, with or without fast enough shutter speeds or flash).

Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:10 PM   #16
Mav

Ok, so for example, if i want to take a photo to a room and i don't want to focus on anything, just take a photo to the all room, what should i do? Because inever get it to focus! If i try to take a picture of someone, to the all persone, i never get focus, it allways blinks and blurs on the photo, with flash or no flash, in my hands or laying on top of the desk so no possible shakes! But i better try it outside tomorrow, it's 4 am here now so i am off to bed now.

Thanks a lot m8!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:29 PM   #17
Administrator

Mav wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so for example, if i want to take a photo to a room and i don't want to focus on anything, just take a photo to the all room, what should i do? Because inever get it to focus!
Let's try to figure out what's going wrong there. Chances are, the light is just too low. It happens. Even with the best of cameras, you sometimes need to use manual focus indoors in low light.

You mentioned that photos were blurry with the green light steady sometimes, too (so, I'm assuming that you do get a lock sometimes). But, the one photo without a flash had shutter speeds that were too slow. So, I can't blame focus on that one. ;-)

If it won't lock at all, regardless of lighting and contrast, then you've got a problem that could be a camera fault. But, let's make sure we're not seeing normal behavior first, by testing it in better conditions.

With *most* cameras I've used, it would be difficult to get a focus lock in lighting requiring a 1/2 second shutter speed at f/3.5 and ISO 200 at anything other than the widest zoom settings, pointing at a subject with very good contrast.

Zoom out (stay on the wide end of the lens) in low light.

That does several things for you: it helps the camera to see better for autofocus purposes (more light reaches the sensor through the lens at shorter focal lengths); it reduces the impact of camera shake for Autofocus purposes (it's magnified as more zoom is used); and using less optical zoom gives you greater depth of field (more of a scene in focus as you get further away from your focus point).

You can't expect to use much (if any) optical zoom indoors in light that low with a typical non-DSLR model like this.

Take a few photos outside, making note of whether or not you're getting focus lock. Then, lets look at the photos and cameras settings used for them and try to figure out if it's a camera problem or not. Most of the time, it's not a camera fault when someone is getting blurry photos (but, there are always exceptions).

Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:25 AM   #18

Well, first off, if the green light is always blinking, there's no use in taking a picture, because it will be out of focus for sure. The problem is to find out why it's not properly locking focus. Do you have a tripod? If so, mount it on the tripod; if not, hold it steady on top of a table or outdoor railing in noontime light, and look through the viewfinder so that the center is on a spot with good contrast, like the edge between dark and light sides of a house. Half press the shutter and see if the green light stays lighted. Without seeing your technique and settings it's kind of hard to guess what might be going wrong otherwise. The camera should take good pictures, though, if it's not broken.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #19
Mav

Hi again, i already tried to take photos with the camera standing on top of something so it was impossible to shake and the green dot keeps blinking.

Here are some photos in daylight:

Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #20
Mav

One more:
Attached Images