Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #21
Mav

and last one:

Oh and i was never able to get a full lock, the green dot was allways blinking, i tried many times and in many ways and it never stopped!
Attached Images

Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:14 PM   #22
Administrator

OK -- I believe you.

EXIF indicates you're not in Macro mode, and you have samples with lens on the wide end, shutter speeds fast enough, outside light, and you still can't get AF lock....

Yes, it looks like it's going to need some fixing. I was hoping it was just something you were doing wrong, or a setting messed up somewhere.

Now, it may be an AF calibration problem that can be fixed via a service menu. I have seen AF calibration that far off (unable to even get a lock) on other cameras before that could be fixed via a service menu using a test target.

But, I don't know how to get into the Olympus service menus (if it has one you can access), and you'd still need to know what do to after you entered it. It may even require external software to calibrate it, and it could be a physical problem (lens element loose, etc.).

So, I think your best bet is to see what Olympus tells you about the problem. Is it under warranty, or would it be an out of pocket expense?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:34 PM   #23
Mav

No warranty anymore, will have to pay from my pocket

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:48 PM   #24
Administrator

Does your lens look OK (no smudges or condensation)?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:28 PM   #25
Mav

Yep they look fine.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:38 PM   #26
Administrator

Just out of curiousity, have you used all dials, switches and buttons (just to make sure there isn't a contact that's not making a good connection somewhere causing an electrical problem)?

If not, I'd try all of them (it can't hurt). How about your batteries? Fully charged NiMH batteries? Have you tried different ones? Memory Card (tried a different one)?

They may not have anything to do with your problem. But, it wouldn't hurt to try diffferent ones if you have any spares (or at least reseat the card and check the battery contacts in case the problem is electrical due to contact connections somewhere). Stranger things have caused problems.

Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:23 PM   #27
Mav

Yes tried all that already, different batterys, different cards, pressing all the buttons, trying all possible combinations, even with full manual and i can't get it to do better than that
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:30 PM   #28
Administrator

My only other suggestion would be to try and leave the batteries out of it long enough for it to lose all of it's settings, including the date and time (leave them out at least 24 hours).

Sometimes, if there is a problem, a full reset can help (and the reset all menu choice may not really be resetting everything internally).

I don't know if there is a way you can force a full return to factory defaults via another method with your model.

Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:34 PM   #29
Mav

Ok i'll try that, i'm going to be away this next 3 days so i'll be letting her without batterys and test it when i come back.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:26 AM   #30
Administrator

Good Luck (and you'll need some).

BTW, I visited Lisbon around 1977. It's a nice area. So, you need to get a camera working so you can show everyone some nice photos of it.