Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:49 PM   #1

Default Love My C4040Z - Hate the Lense Cap

OK, so I'm stupid enough to forget to take of the lense cap before I turn it on... I hate the gear grinding and all the angry beeps it makes.

Just when I had myself almost trained to ALWAYS remove the lense cap before I turn it on, I hand it to someone, who - you guessed it...

I thought I saw something about an aftermarket Lense Cap for the C4040Z (or C4000 series), made for idiots like me.

Does anyone know where to obtain such an item?

My camera still works fine, I just want to keep it that way....
robnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:56 PM   #2

Check out this site:

http://www.olympuscap.homestead.com/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 2:48 AM   #3

Hey Robyn, the link Mike posted above will get you a 'great' lens cap for very few bucks, it works very well, but it still doesn't address the problem of forgetting to 'open it' before you turn on the camera...you'll just have to repeat to yourself, over and over', "I must remove the lens cap before I turn on the camera"
I still forget from time to time, slap me upside the head!!!
Blessings, Johnny :lol:
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:43 AM   #4

Of course if you get a filter tube for your camera and a UV or Skylight filter (plus a lens cap for it), you won't have to worry about leaving your lens cap on the camera when powering up ever again...you still have the worry about leaving the lens cap on the camera though before you take the picture (since the 4040 has an optical viewfinder).

Note that the tube idea is NOT compatable with the lens cap link I posted above.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 11:57 AM   #5

This problem has been addressed many times before - why oh why did Oly make it that way??????

Anyway, many of us Oly users have considerded and discussed this many times and the tube (Oly CLA1) really is the only way to solve it.

Note, as well as the CLA1 (there are others too) you will need a ring adaptor on the front of it to stop the lens bumpimg into the filter.

Probably the cheapest way to do this is to buy a cheapo UV filter which is stackable and knock out the glass. The filter proper then goes onto the glassless ring hence moving it forward a bit. You then need a cap for the filter but I don't bother - if I scratch the filter I buy a new one, they are cheap.

Here's a useful site to visit: http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2...ndex.htm#first
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 6:24 PM   #6

Default Re- Lens cap problem

Hi,

I use a 5050z, which has the same lens cap arrangement. If you set the camera to "Playback" mode before turning it off, the next time you turn it on it will still be in that mode and the lens won't extend until you take it out of that mode. I find it easy to remember to remove the cap before changing the mode setting.

Steve Price
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 8:38 PM   #7

Default Re: Re- Lens cap problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Price
Hi,

I use a 5050z, which has the same lens cap arrangement. If you set the camera to "Playback" mode before turning it off, the next time you turn it on it will still be in that mode and the lens won't extend until you take it out of that mode.
The problem with that suggestion (at least with many other Oly C-series cameras) is you won't get the custom reset performed and you won't get your defaults activated (for my camera it would mean I would be in HQ instead of SHQ, not to mention all the other defaults I like).
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:10 PM   #8

Hi Mike,

I do it with my c5050z, and whatever settings I was using are the ones that come back up. Maybe this is different in other models?

I don't know why it's easier to remember to remove the lens cap with the routine I use, by the way. It just seems to work for me fairly effortlessly. I agree that having the lens cap interfere with the lens is a silly and awkward design.

Regards,

Steve Price
Old Mar 10, 2003, 6:00 AM   #9

Default Correction

Hi Again,

I must have been having a brain cramp when I said that my c5050z retains new user settings if turned off in the Playback mode. It doesn't. What I've been doing, and which works just fine, is turning it off in whatever picture-taking mode I was in, then turning the dial to Playback while it's off. When I turn it on again, no grinding and complaining about the lens cap, because the lens doesn't extend until I return to a picture taking mode.

My apologies to all.

Steve Price
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:42 AM   #10

The Tiffen 41-to43mm lens adapter is actually long enough so that you can attach a filter/lens cap on it without having the lens barrel bump into it (like it does with the Olympus CLA-1 adapter without a step-up ring).
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote