Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:42 PM   #11

Well.. my election after all your answers (thank you!!!) is this:
I will buy the C-730.
After seeing this images:
http://photos.edjeavons.co.uk/albums/oly_zoom.htm
And with all the data of every picture, i think that i can live without IS.
Also, the majority of the pictures that i will take will be surely not using the zoom at full tele.
Also, the C-730 is easier to carry than the 2100UZ, and talking about manual modes, both cameras are practically the same.
And the c-750 is a tad bit pricey for me. I can get a c730 with a 128mb card for U$S 520.
Also, i'm worried about the Uzis suffering from SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome. Because i live in argentina, if my uzi fails, it will be imposible to me to get it repaired.
So... when i'll have it, i'll post pictures
Thank you all for your responses!
gonzalo
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:20 PM   #12

hi!
it looks that i can get a decent 2100 refurb class A here. (529 dollars)
The ONLY thing that worries me is the SDS (sudden death sindrome)
I will try to not take pictures when the low battery advise is on the screen and things like that.. but.. what other measures must i have?
because i live in argentina, and if the camera stops working, i will lose the money.. and keep in mind that 1 dollar is 3 pesos here, and i earn 300 pesos a month.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 10:33 AM   #13

Default UZI Care

Forget about low battery, instead be sure to buy high quality SM & Batteries. The UZI is very hardy (mine has survived car crashes & floods). (Also, the store floor demos have been observed to survive incredible abuse over a period of months without issue & this includes plugging in incorrect power cords.) The main thing to watch for is overheating. Running the camera on battery power while taking consecutive flash photos (eg, 10 to 14 in a row at minimum cycle time at) heats up the electronics to the point that a component failure could occur (mine fortunately just locked up temporarily).

On receiving your camera, run dead/hot pixel tests (parametrically temperature vs shutter) as well as try to exercise all camera functions to make sure that they work satisfactorily (eg, movie mode, sound recording, various program modes, resolutions, manual vs auto focus, etc.). Record your results. Besides testing the camera, you will better learn its operation plus this exercise will provide performance benchmarks to determine, in the future, if something (ie, some functionality) has changed or has become defective.

Oh, yes. Do your camera & yourself a favor & immediately buy a suitable storage/carry case.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:13 AM   #14

I'm a "point and shoot" photographer and hooked on the Oly C2100. I've just set up a forum especially for UZi owners!
If you're interested in joining, just "copy and paste" this link:
http://cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~bejow...pBB2/index.php

I think you'll be pleased with an UZi.

B.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:00 PM   #15

I'm very impressed with the quality of photos that the C2100 produces, when it is functioning properly. It's incredible that a 2.1mp camera can take those photos, B.J.'s photo for example.

Photos I've seen with the 730 are equally amazing, steve6 photos for example. It really comes to show, that the quality of the photo really comes from the photographer.

I really need to practice instead of buying more cameras to take photos for me.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:29 PM   #16

You certainly have a good selection of cameras, but a lot of it does come from the photographer, and knowing what the settings do. A pro can take a good picture with a $5 throwaway camera, but anyone can take a bad picture with a $30,000 camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 5:55 PM   #17

Default UZI SDS (& Low Battery)

MAybe I was hasty about low battery effect.
In general it is true that low batteries are hard on motors (such as auto starter motors) as they (the motors) are in effect a dead short until the armature can begin to rotate & build up a back emf. My experience with electronics is that over voltages & heat are the killers.
Best recommendation upon low battery indicator is to finish your shot then change out the batteries.

Discussion about UZI reliability taken from another site is appended below

Breezy asked;
Holland ; After you tortured you poor Uzis' did they live or die.??
Holland StJohn wrote:
I torture tested both my UZIs soon after I got them 2 years ago or so, and will do my brother's when he gets it ( a refurb from olympus america on ebay). Much better to have the camera die during warranty than after. SDS is caused by a weak component in some UZI power boards that fails when the batteries are low (the power board must draw more milliamps from the batteries at low voltage, causing weak components to fail, especially when warm).
The torture test involves: Turning off sleep, turning on camera w
lcd showing, wrapping camera in a blanket, letting the batteries
run down until the camera turns itself off, immediately putting in
a new set of batteries and repeating. The camera will get very warm during this test (as expected). If it passes you know you won't get sds. If it dies you send the camera to Oly who will put in a new power board, and most likely upgrade the firmware.

Holland
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 9:10 PM   #18

Low batteries are (and should) be a concern in any digital camera; especially if you have a 2AA battery camera instead of a 4 AAs. In the camera there is a device that increases the voltage of the batteries (because to write to the card you need at least 3.3volts...if you have 2AAs, that would equal 2.4v (1.2v x 2) which wouldn't be enough to write to the card). To K.I.S.S. you need a certain capacity for the voltage booster to work, and if you have low batteries this circuit can't do its job, and the camera dies.

The 2100 due to poor design in this circuit can actually self distruct, which would mean a trip to Olympus for repair. The 700 series can lock up in this situation...the solution usually means removing the batteries and/or the card for over an hour till the camera resets.

The way to avoid the problem is when the low battery indicator starts flashing is not to try to get that one last shot in, but change the batteries then and there.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 2:17 PM   #19

hola Gonzalo,
te cuento que yo tuve una c-2100 hasta el mes pasado. mientras estaba de vacaciones me la robaron, por lo que ya no la tengo mas.
la maquina es un caño, no conozco la 730, pero por lo que averigue, la 2100 es muy superior, a pesar de que tiene 2.1 megapixels contra 3.2 de la 730.
yo estoy buscando de comprar una 2100, pero sinceramente no encuentro nada aca. donde averiguaste vos ??
lo que no puedo entender tampoco es porque olympus deja de fabricar semejante camara y no la reemplaza con alguna igual o mejor...
saludos,
nacho
nachomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:40 PM   #20

hola nacho
el tema es que esa cámara sale 1000 dólares. Y no la compraba nadie. Para olympus fue mas fácil rebajarla y dejar todo el stock. Aparte, el sistema de estabilización de imágenes es de canon y les sacaron la patente.
Mirá, por deremate aca varia gente la vende, pero son refurbished.
Y mucha gente de este foto me dijo que en general no vienen bien, que hay que mandarlas un par de veces para que la retoquen. Y hacer un rma a eeuu desde acá es carisimo