Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:25 PM   #31
lg

Nachomur, this may be what you have been looking for - a new (not refurbished) Olympus C-2100 on eBay! There are 5 separate listings.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 4:07 PM   #32

hi lg !
thanks you very much for your advise !
i'm trying to buy one of this c-2100. i need good luck !
thanks a lot again !
kind regards
nachomur
nachomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:17 PM   #33
lg

You're quite welcome! Let us know how you come out...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:18 PM   #34
Lew

Default C730 - IS & SDS

[quote="Mike_PEAT"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
There are times I wish I had IS, as well as focus assist, but I've learned to do without them (actually, one mistake IS users make with tripods is they leave the IS on which causes a shaky picture).

One of the main reasons of SDS is low battery, and the three biggest draws of power are writing to the card, powering the LCD, and the IS motor. The biggest mistake people make to cause SDS is taking a picture with the low battery indicator flashing, hoping they can get that one last shot...the C-7x0 can have a similar problem but with the C-2100 it means a trip to Olympus to repair it while with the C-7x0 you just have to remove the batteries and card for a while (an hour at least) and every case I've heard of the camera was fine.

Two questions ... excuse my ignorance ...
1) What is an IS?
2) My one month old C730 stopped working. I was zooming in on a subject and the lens froze in the out position. Is this SDS? I was experiencing focusing problems withthe subject (camera was mounted on a tripod and facing the ground where I placed an old photo I wanted to shoot). It keep going out of focus so I was lowering and raising the tripod going in and out of macro mode and all of a sudden it froze. I was able to view and upload the few pics I had on my new memory card (Olympus XD 256), however, the viewfinder and LCD is blank in any shooting mode. I have tried removing the batteries, putting in a fresh set, changing memory card, all to no avail. Any thoughts???
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:24 AM   #35

IS or Image Stabilization is a feature which corrects for camera shake. It's featured in cameras like the Oly C-2100, Canon Pro IS series, and the Panasonic DMC-FZ1. I'd post a link to show you how it works, but it seems to have been taken down. Hopefully they aren't abandoning it.

As for your problem, did you try taking the batteries out for a while? Note that if you take the batteries out close to an hour your presets may be lost, but you may have to take have this happen and leave the batteries out to fix the problem. If not, it will mean a trip to Olympus.

SDS was a problem with the C-2100, but was cured after that model...it was a glitch with a weak component which converted the voltage to a higher voltage...when the battery voltage was too low and you tried to write to the memory, that component would die because it couldn't do its job and the camera would be dead.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 1:42 AM   #36

Canon recently redid their site...here's the new link to how IS works in the Canon and Olympus cameras:

http://www.canon.com/technology/deta...ift/index.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote