Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Default C2100UZ vs C730UZ

Hi.. i was comparing this two cameras.. (if you readed my previous messages, i was looking to buy a 2100UZ).
I saw a few things that catched my atention:
The C730UZ has a faster shutter speed: 1/1000 vs 1/750. Is that really important?
Also, it has olympus TruePic tech.
The 2100 has AF illumintar.
And the 2100 has better response times (shutter lag, power on camera, etc) than the C730, and it's lenses are STABILIZED! No pixel mapping tough...

So.. it's a tough question-..
I have readed a lot that the 2100UZ, albeit it's age, has SUPERB image quality..
what camera would you choose???
Sorry for my poor english and thanks in advance
gonzalo
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:20 PM   #2

I have a C-730, which takes great pics for me 90% of the time. It struggles a bit in low or unsual light, but the noise reduction, a tripod and proper use of the flash (I use a tissue to diffuse the flash)correct this problem in most instances I don't have any problem with clarity using the C-730 zoom, it takes very little practice to get used to steadying the camera and a monopod comes in handy when needed. It has 3.2 MP vs 2MP for the 2100, which is important for me as I often print clear and sharp 11x14 from the C-730. I have not used a 2100UZ, but those who do seem very devoted. I think it comes down to whether you are happy with a 2MP camera or a 3.2 mp camera. My thinking is file sizes and the supporting technology (printers, ect) are being developed to handle larger file sizes, not smaller file sizes. Hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:18 PM   #3

The bulk of the 2100 put me off. I like the compact 730 - easy to hike with. I also really wanted 3mp.

You'll get good results with either though.

I'm afraid it'll come down to you making your mind up - what's most important to you.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:13 PM   #4

hi.
Yes, but centrally i'm unsure about this:
1/1000 speed and the no stabilized lenses vs 1/750 and stabilized lenses.
What do you think?
ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 1:54 PM   #5

I'm happy with tripods/monopods etc. With practice you'd be surprised how steady you can hold the cam at 10x zoom, I've been down to 50th sec. Not to say IS wouldn't be nice though.

I wouldn't swap my 730 for an Uzi.

I believe there are reliability problems with some Uzis suffering from SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome)?????

Based on I don't need IS I prefer the 730.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
I'm happy with tripods/monopods etc. With practice you'd be surprised how steady you can hold the cam at 10x zoom, I've been down to 50th sec. Not to say IS wouldn't be nice though.
I have to agree with that sentiment...if you look in http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info you'll find three pictures of a steeple taken by me (mikefellh) of various levels of zoom including full optical (10x) AND full digital (30x) all handheld...yes it was in bright daylight so I had a high enough shutter speed to do the full digital shot.

There are times I wish I had IS, as well as focus assist, but I've learned to do without them (actually, one mistake IS users make with tripods is they leave the IS on which causes a shaky picture).

One of the main reasons of SDS is low battery, and the three biggest draws of power are writing to the card, powering the LCD, and the IS motor. The biggest mistake people make to cause SDS is taking a picture with the low battery indicator flashing, hoping they can get that one last shot...the C-7x0 can have a similar problem but with the C-2100 it means a trip to Olympus to repair it while with the C-7x0 you just have to remove the batteries and card for a while (an hour at least) and every case I've heard of the camera was fine.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcdata
hi.
Yes, but centrally i'm unsure about this:
1/1000 speed and the no stabilized lenses vs 1/750 and stabilized lenses.
What do you think?
I am in exactly the same situation as steve6 here. I have a C-730 and wouldn't swap it for an Uzi because I can live without IS and I prefer the C-730's other specs and design.

I have never used a camera with IS, and I don't doubt that it's a great feature but it really isn't required in most cases. If it was essential, manufacturers wouldn't bother making long-zoom cameras without it.

For example, all of the photos on this page were taken handheld on a very overcast day (although the shutter speeds were still kept high) and it was extremely windy so I was having trouble holding myself still, never mind the camera still. I think you'll aggree though that they all came out reasonably well. In fact if you want to have a browse around the rest of my site all of the photos taken in this album and this album were handheld. I only used tripods for the indoor shots and the moon shots.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:55 PM   #8
lg

You'll get excellent results with either camera. My preference is for the C-2100 because of better low-light performance. The combination of IS and focus assist lamp allows you to take more sharply focused hand held pictures at slightly longer shutter speeds in this situation.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:36 PM   #9

In program mode the UZi has a top shutter speed of 1/1150 second. In manual mode it is 1/800 second.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=2307607
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 5:25 PM   #10

Default OK....

There are a "few" places here in Florida where you can not get in the gate with a tripod and you can get in with a monopod if it looks like a cane? Not fair but true. So if you are planning to go to places that are congested the C-2100 might be better. But what the heck buy whatever you really like and enjoy it.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote