Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:22 PM   #1

Default C-4000Z vs. Stylus300

I'm getting ready to buy a replacement for my "point & shoot", and I've narrowed it down to these two cameras: the Stylus 300 and the C-4000z. I'll never give up my C2500L!

I like the compact size, weatherproofness, and simplicity of the S300, but I'm not excited about adding a third media type.

All I read about is how great the C-4000z is for EVERYTHING! The resolution difference is not important to me, and the prices are very close. The s300 comes with a charger, but the C-4000z uses AA Lithiums.

I'm going skiing in Tahoe next week, and one of these is going with me!(If I figure out how to post photos, I'll share them!)

hep me! hep me!
Dawgcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:35 PM   #2

I don't know about you, but if I own a C-2500L, I'd stick with, OR buying something better. I own the C-4000 and have handled my friend's C-2500L. Sure the C-4000 has some advantages like longer shutter speeds and multi-metering capability, but in the end, the image quality of both cameras are about the same.

Personally, I'd demote the C2500 as the point-and-shoot and invest on present-day SLRs.

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 2:29 AM   #3

I'd go with the stylus, it's more of a point and shoot and its more compact. I love my C-4000 for portrait work, but I've had focusing problems with scenery, plus it is rather large to be taking skiing.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 9:15 AM   #4

Oz and Johnny:

Both great points!

When I grow up, I will own a "modern" SLR. I just don't have any glass right now to warrant buying a body. Besides they will probably be $2000 for 20 megapixels in three years. I can see where a c4000z might be somewhat of a duplication.

I'll always have a need for a little-bitty-ole camera. Maybe I should get the Stylus!

I have recomended the C-4000z to several friends who are starting out though. It sounds like an awesome camera. I just saw it in Office Depot this morning for $418. That's the lowest price I've seen in a store.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5

I have a D-550Z, which is not too dissimilar to the Stylus in the body style (it's a bit bigger, I think, and not waterproof) and features. I also have the C-4000Z, which is my main digital camera.

For the Tahoe trip, the Stylus probably will serve you better. However, for the long run, if you want manual control over your photography and grow in your skills (as opposed to using a ponit-and-shoot camera for snapshot photography), I would respectfully suggest that you consider the C-4000. The Stylus 300 does not have any manual controls (aperture/shutter priority, manual focus, etc.), and you might find at times that will stifle your creativity.

You can also attach external filters and lenses to the C-4000, as well as external flash, none of which are options with the Stylus 300.

But, of course it all depends on your photography needs.

If you want to see some sample pictures taken with the 4000, check out my link in the signature.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:27 PM   #6

Hey Guys:

Just want to thank everyone for the input. I bought a Stylus 300 this afternoon ($399 @ Best Buy + 15% of any accessories), and I have been playing with it ever since!

It's a powerful little camera with easy to follow menus. I was surprised how fast full-resolution images downloaded from the camera to the computer via USB2. I guess the XD cards are really faster.

I did confirm however, that the panorama feature DOES NOT work with the Fugi card. Best Buy was out of the 128mb Olympus cards, and I was too lazy to drive across town to Circuit City. Oh well, I'll be swapin' tomorrow.

I want to find a spare battery too, and those seem to be a little dificult to find in the stores.

Thanks again, and keep posting, this forum is awesome!
Old Mar 13, 2003, 7:24 PM   #7
lg

If the digital Stylus is anything like the film version, you won't regret your purchase. I have an old Olympus Stylus that has survived 3 kids, tons of scouting events and numerous family vacations. It's been dropped, rained on, and soiled by dirty little hands--and it would still take great pics today (if both of my digital cameras were unavailable) !
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:12 AM   #8

Good choice, Dawg...besides being smaller than the C-4000, the Stylus is ruggedly-built...so it will survive any 'falls' you have while skiing(hopefully), plus when you're getting off the chair lift and spot the perfect 'Kodak moment', you won't have to mess with determining correct exposure, f-stop, lens speed, etc...I know the tricks that the ambient light plays on huge expanses of snow and I've also taken my share of 'spills' (not the world's best skiier :lol: )
Good luck and blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:59 PM   #9

Hey guys!

Back from Tahoe! No broken bones, and AWESOME photos. As soon as I figure out how to post them using internet explorer or road runner or some other way, I'll direct you to them!

I was very surprised how well the "P" mode handled such a variety of exposure demands! From lots of snow, to inside/no-flash shots.

I'm very satisfied, The battery lasts a long time too! I bought a 128mb, and then a 256mb card.

See ya soon...