Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:30 AM   #1

Default Using the Tcon 14 from my E-10 on the C5050...

I keep hearing you can put the TCON 14 on the C5050. I think the C5050 has a 49mm size to the lens on it. ( I might have that wrong.. don't have it yet..) I have an Tcon 14 that goes to my E-10. That would mean a 62 mm thread attachment. Don't I need a 49 mm to 62 mm step up ring to adapt it to me camera?

Educate me.. and point me where if it is possible to use this combination... Gary
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:03 AM   #2

According to the Oly C-Series accessories chart, the TCON-14 *IS* compatible with the 5050.

As for what step up ring you get, it all depends on what lens filter tube you have on the 5050. You can't attach any converter or filter directly to the lens of the 5050, you need a filter adapter tube for it. More experienced Oly users with extending lens cameras recommend keeping the tube and a UV/Skylight filter on the camera at all times to protect the lens assembly (although with some C-series cameras the filter tube will block part of the internal flash).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:11 AM   #3

If you do attach it to the 5050, craddle the TCON-14 on one hand and the camera on the other. The lens is heavy and I assume the adapter tube for the 5050 is made of plastic, the TCON-14 is metal. Careful you don't strip the treads on the adapter or break anything (dropping the TCON-14 on the ground - happened to me once, but thankfully there was carpeting to break the fall). Good luck!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:00 AM   #4

Default There are two 1.45x TCONs

There are 2 different 1.45x TeleCONverter lenses made by Olympus. One, the TCON-14B, is what we use on our E-10/20 cameras, and it is 62mm rear mount.
The other, which used to be referred to as the TCON-14, has a 46mm rear mount, and to attach this to a C5050, you would need a CL1-A Lens Adapter tube (has 43mm front mount) and 43mm to 46mm step-up ring.
Here is the URL to see it at B&Hphotovideo:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...ID=F41E0C4C5D0

Or, just search for item OL1.45X.

Oh, I forgot to add, that yes your idea of using a step-up ring to add the TCON-14B to the C5050 should work too. Which ring (rings) you'll need depends on the front mount size of the Lens Adapter Tube you have. There were variations made by companies other than Olympus.

JodyQ
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero
If you do attach it to the 5050, craddle the TCON-14 on one hand and the camera on the other. The lens is heavy and I assume the adapter tube for the 5050 is made of plastic, the TCON-14 is metal. Careful you don't strip the treads on the adapter or break anything (dropping the TCON-14 on the ground - happened to me once, but thankfully there was carpeting to break the fall). Good luck!
The filter tubes are made out of metal (certainly my CLA-4 is so I assume the CLA-1 is too). I couldn't imagine Oly would make a plastic filter tube because of the weight of some of their converters (esp. the B300)...maybe one of the clone tubes is made out of plastic, but all of the ones I've seen are metal (aluminum).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote