Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1

Okay, I got no response for my scratched C-5000 lens post. Places that quote a repair price want lots of $$$. They say they have to replace the entire lens assembly, electronics and all. But,,,looking at the "lens" I think the outmost element is not a lens at all but a simply a glass cover. I actuall see a protective cover open and close behind this outermost glass. Even the bezel around this outmost glass moves around a little. Maybe it comes off? Somebody, must know something about this. Is there a way to remove this glass? Is it indeed just glass? Maybe if I can find a DOA C-5000 I can use a bit more force on it to see. I sure wish somebody would speak up on this. My scratch is right in the middle and it causes flares. ARRRRRGGGG
tmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2
E.T

They don't have single lens elements in boxes collecting dust, those are always replaced as whole assembly. (positioning of lens elements would be very hard)
And there ain't any elements just as cover in any lenses because every single element adds cost and more reflections.
Only "protection" lens you might see in cameras is "user installed" skylight/UV-filter in those cameras with filter threads.

And that thing moving inside lens is diaphragm which is used to control aperture.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:41 PM   #3

Well if the entire unit is made up of pieces then the piece come from somewhere so I suspect, yes, somewhere there are boxes full. The trick is finding that somewhere.On this site I saw an Olympus tear down (not the C-5000) and it showed an outer plastic retaining ring that had three snap in prongs. One photo showed it removed and the outmost lens element removed. That is exactly what I am trying to do here. I just don't know how to unsanp that retaining ring.

What I am seeing inside does not appear ro be the apature control. It swings wide open when the camera is turned on (does not adjust) and swings closed when I turn it off.

I am amazed there is no one else who has had this problem. So I guess I will pave the way to solving it myself and report the results here. If I screw it up, well so be it, if not maybe it will help someone else.
tmahler is offline   Reply With Quote