Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 5, 2002, 1:59 PM   #1

Default Olympus 450Z-...-510Z-520Z each one with less features

I bought an olympus 450z quite some time ago. I've been extremely happy with it, and have taken many pictures. I like all the little features and options, and I really like the picture quality. One of my best friends has bought an olympus (I think a 460Z or something like that) on my reccomendation. My Aunt and Grandma both have olympus cameras similar to mine. My father wanted to buy a digital camera, so of course we started out looking at the olympus series.

I quickly found out that with the latest 520 olympus, they have hacked out a lot of features! On the 520 they cut down the size of the LCD to 1.5" from 1.8"! They also removed the diopter adjusting dial from the optical viewfinder.

I then looked at the 510Z and noticed they had removed the top LCD display that showed the pictures remaining, flash status, quality settings etc.

It seems like every next model, they come out with a later model, hack some features and sell it for the same price. Especially between the 510 and 520. They have identical feature lists from what I can see.

Now we did end up getting the 510Z and have been very happy with it so far (other than the missing LCD display up top). Its much faster than my 450z, stores pickures much faster. I'm not sure I like that it doesn't display the pictures after taking for a second or two (so I can see if the pic is any good), but thats a minor nitpick. I love the USB interface, and mostly things seem to be improved. The resolution is higher, and the pictures seem much better quality overall. I was amazed at the differance.

It looks and feels ugly though. The old one had a polished shiny plastic look and feel, this has a rough matte look at feel. Besides that, there are trim pieces that were removed. Like the little gold looking plastic piece that went into the front cover. There's still a place for it on the newer models, but its absent.
Granted these are cosmetic changes, but it shows how they are trying to cut costs and save money on the model, while keeping the price the same.

One other features I miss, the ability to flip the flash up and down manually. In many cases I prefer to take pictures without a flash, the colors seem better, and many times the flash will distract or alert the subject when you want a more natural look. I have to hit the flash button 3 times to disable flash, rather than flipping the flash down with my hand.

Anyway, just my two cents. Also, I'm wondering why Steve didn't mention any of the missing features between the olympus 510 and 520 models, like the shrunk LCD screen.

[Edited on 7-5-2002 by Devistater]
Devistater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2002, 4:02 PM   #2

Well, I have read couple od Steves reviews, and I have a feeling that he doesnt like to criticise kameras. When you read his opinions everything seems so nice. But still, he is doing an excellent job, as far as I know...

But speaking of OLYMPUS D-520, I just bought it and I like it... Small price, excellent photos!!!
zvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 3:32 AM   #3

Yeah, I really like his pictures, and his detailed examinations of the cameras. But why did you get the 520 rather than the 510? They have almost exact same specs, and the 510 has a much much bigger LCD screen.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 10:43 AM   #4

The 490 might have been the replacement for the 450 yoou were looking for, out of production now. The 550 current and about $340..
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 4:01 PM   #5

but D-52O is much more cheeper!!!
zvone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2002, 2:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by zvone
but D-52O is much more cheeper!!!
Dunno why you think the 520 is cheaper than the 510. I found prices similar for both, around 220 for refurbed, 280 for new.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:11 AM   #7

Just bought a 520 for my wife. The 510 is cheaper if you get a refurbed camera. The 520 cost me $188 new from buydig with US warranty.

I bought the 520 for the size. If you compare the two the 520 lost two batteries and about a half inch in thickness. Need something small that will fit in the wifes purse. Now she will stoip complaining about my c700!
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:20 AM   #8

The great thing about the digital camera world is they are better and cheaper. Well maybe that is two things. I own the c4040 and it has the digital display on the top of the camera. I use a friend's C4000 and it does not. The items that were displayed on the top of the camera are now displayed on the lcd panel. Olympus, like other camera makers, must make decision that will allow them build good cameras and be price competive.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:59 PM   #9

Devistater, I have the D510 and you can get it to display the image for a few sec. right after taking it. Go to the menu and scroll down to Settings, then RecView, and change the setting to On, and it should work. Also, with the flash, if you leave the flash on all the time, you can just manually hold it down when you don't want it, and it will turn it off. I've gotten into the habit of mentally deciding whether I want flash or not before I click and then hold it down or leave it up and active. I messed up a lot at first but got better after some practice.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:10 PM   #10

Hi,

This is my first post about my new D510 camera. I think one big miss on the 520 is the ISO features, only AUTO 100-200.

On the D510, this option adds 400.

Bye
darkman is offline   Reply With Quote