Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:55 PM   #1

Default stylus 300 pics always dark

No matter what presets I use, the output of my pictures with my new stylus 300 digital always come out dark, kind of unclear and not vivid. Even bright outside pictures come out not as bright as it is outside!!??? Does anyone know what in the world could be causing some thing like this? This includes all resolution settings! HELP!
mdeligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:37 PM   #2

Does the camera have EV compensation? Do you have it set to something other than 0?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:10 PM   #3

Whatever EV compensation is, I don't have it from reading the entire manual. Here are sample pictures.

http://www.deligny.us/samples300/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Does the camera have EV compensation? Do you have it set to something other than 0?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:00 PM   #4
lg

There's really not a lot wrong with the pics you took. There's a lot of bright lighting in some of the pics, which may cause your subject to look darker (the lady in the second photo has heavy backlighting, which normally requires an extra stop or two). Taking pics of mostly white vehicles on a bright sunny day causes almost the same effect. The white pad on your desktop is properly exposed, which makes the objects in the background appear darker. I didn't see anything wrong with the picture of you(?).

Your camera does have exposure compensation according to Steve's review:
Quote:
EXPOSURE COMPENSATION - Override metering by +/- 2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps
, which is what Mike_Peat was referring to. On your screen display, it is indicated by a box with "+/-" inside it. To make your pictures brighter, set it to a positive number. The number is the number of stops over or under exposed. You can brighten the default pics up by as much as 2.0 stops. I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. I have checked out that EC control and yes, I do have it. I come from taking pictures with my C3030, which I love and praise the quality. Then going to a smaller, compact is a little hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
There's really not a lot wrong with the pics you took. There's a lot of bright lighting in some of the pics, which may cause your subject to look darker (the lady in the second photo has heavy backlighting, which normally requires an extra stop or two). Taking pics of mostly white vehicles on a bright sunny day causes almost the same effect. The white pad on your desktop is properly exposed, which makes the objects in the background appear darker. I didn't see anything wrong with the picture of you(?).

Your camera does have exposure compensation according to Steve's review:
Quote:
EXPOSURE COMPENSATION - Override metering by +/- 2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps
, which is what Mike_Peat was referring to. On your screen display, it is indicated by a box with "+/-" inside it. To make your pictures brighter, set it to a positive number. The number is the number of stops over or under exposed. You can brighten the default pics up by as much as 2.0 stops. I hope this helps!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:46 AM   #6

Hey, how is the flash recylce time on that Stylus? I belive it uses 2 batteries, right? I had a D-520 and it was very slow when the flash was enabled, 15-18 seconds to recycle in a low lit room. I really like the small size of the Stylus, my friend is looking at getting a digital camera that is small, does the Stylus have any problems like the D-520 as far as very slow picture taking in darker rooms?
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:12 AM   #7

I don't think the flash recycle time is that slow. I also have an Oly C3030. The stylus is nice because of it's size...but lacks the better quality optics I believe because of this. Maybe I'm not taking pictures correctly, but it "is" a point-and-shoot camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkothbauer
Hey, how is the flash recylce time on that Stylus? I belive it uses 2 batteries, right? I had a D-520 and it was very slow when the flash was enabled, 15-18 seconds to recycle in a low lit room. I really like the small size of the Stylus, my friend is looking at getting a digital camera that is small, does the Stylus have any problems like the D-520 as far as very slow picture taking in darker rooms?
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:54 PM   #8

The biggest selling point about the Oly Stylus is the weather resistance.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote