Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 20, 2003, 8:15 PM   #1

Default Olympus C4000 OR Minolta 7hi

Hi all! I am new to the digital photography scene and I'm trying to figure out which camera will best suit my needs. I own the C4000 and am very happy with the photo quality. I'm not so much concerned with the difference in megapixels between the 2 cameras, but I do like the 7x optic zoom that the 7hi offers. I guess I'm trying to get some input as to what I should do. If I sell the C4000 and get the 7hi, am I getting a superior camera? Or should I just stick with the C4000? I wish there were one camera that was hands down the choice for everyone, but of course, each has their weaknesses. When I read the specs, the 7hi offers more than the C4000, but what about the difference in final product? Anybody's help would be appreciated!

Thanks
tgrwoods6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:15 PM   #2

Depends one what you want, and the price you want to pay. The Minolta Dimage 7Hi is a more advanced camera, its an SLR type, like the Olympus E series camera. If you want or you pefere taking photos through the eye viewfinder, then the Minolta would be a better buy. The C-4000 is a different type of camera, its a rangefinder and it does not have EVF. It all depends what you want. The minolta is about double the price of the C-4000.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:28 AM   #3
NHL

If the extra buffer, sync terminal, or wider color space are not needed, then the 7i is similar to the 7Hi for much less! 8) 8) 8) http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=36389#36389
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 1:47 PM   #4

Default Olympus C4000Z vs Minolta Dimage7Hi

Some time before I acquired my Olympus C4000z I was ready to buy a Dimage7i. I was impressed by the wide range lens and the features of that camera. But - I was less impressed by any of the test pictures on the digicam test sites.

I did not like the pitch dark shades and the grainy sky on most of the pictures. Then I talked with an owner of that camera, a competent photographer. He praised the features and abilities of his camera, but he admitted that he was not lucky with his photographs. He especially complained about the color of the sky, it never came out natural, but always a kind of gray. He had already written to Minolta. So he confirmed my findings. This has not changed with the Dimage7Hi and color noise is again mentioned in most test reports.

I believe that the existing 5MP CCD chips are no match for the 4MP chips used by Canon or Olympus for example. This unfortunately goes also for the C5050Z. I came to this conclusion after downloading and carefully comparing hundreds of test pictures. Most apparent is the grainy sky.

You do not have to agree with me. I am not biased and would be glad to find out that I am wrong. Personally, I wish I could have the Dimage7i with a decent existing 4MP CCD chip or the Olympus C4000Z with the Minolta 28..200 zoom.

By the way, I am a satisfied C4000Z owner.

Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:55 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
This unfortunately goes also for the C5050Z
The C5050Z does not use the same 5Mp CCD (it's smaller), the E20 does; however, I do agree with you 100% that the dpReview D7's test picture of the sky was noisy.

It's just too bad the reviewers forgot to mention that if the user had learned to use his camera and set the D7's contrast to (-3) or sharpness to (-) most of the perceived noises just kind of fade away 8) 8) 8). Better yet try a print!

Afterall theses owners don't seem to have a problem :lol: :lol: :lol: : http://www3.photosig.com/photos.php?cameraId=329
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote