Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1

On the Olympus website at

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...p350/index.cfm

there is a brand new (2/16/06) firmware update for SP-310 and SP-350. Olympus says this about the update--low battery indicator has been adjusted for rechargeable batteries.

Let's try this out! Report back your experiences and let's see if this fixes the problem. You will need to install the Master software to update your camera. Just follow the instructions on the website.

I did my 350 last night and will start testing ASAP. I love the camera except for this nagging problem.

Ted
tmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

Well folks, Since the firmware update I have taken well over 100 photos on my 2000mAh cells and the battery indicator still shows full. I am very pleased with this performance. As I take more pictures and get used to the feel of this camera I am growing more and more happy with it. As for the speed, it seems slower indoors where it has to turn on the focusing light and go through all the motions but outdoors it is as fast as any Olympus. Mainly however I am glad the battery issue is turing into a non-issue. I recommend the firware upgrade to all you 310 and 350 owners. Those that turned away, maybe another look is in order.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3

tmahler-

Thanks for posting about the firmware update. I updated my SP-350 last night and am very pleased with the improvement.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:14 PM   #4

Glad it was of value! I just returned from a ski trip and took my SP-350 on the slopes with me. I was very happy with its performance, cold batteries and all. The more I use this camera, the more I like it.

Ted Mahler
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:53 PM   #5

ted-

My experience is that the firmware update make a huge improvement in battery operations. I have not had a single problem since installing the new firmware.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6

This is great to read, anyone else having much better battery life since the firmware update? Also, what kind of batteries are you having success with? Thanks!
sputkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:09 PM   #7

I have just finished updating my SP-350 today, so I can't comment on any success yet. However, before the update, I found that I got much better results from Sanyo 2500 MAH cells than from Duracell 2300 MAH units--much more than the 10% greater capacity of the Sanyo battery would suggest. I understand that Sanyo also has 2700 MAH AA cells, but I have not been able to find them.

One more bit of information. Mac OS X users will find that the FAQ instructions for the download process are not applicable. Instead, just connect your camera to the computer with the USB casble, launch Olympus Master and click on the camera update icon. Follow the instructions from there.
Kent
K4thwright is offline   Reply With Quote