Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1

Does anybody know which point and shoot camera replaced the C3040 beside the c5050? I was told by olympus that the sp500UZ should be ok. However, it does not have the same type of lens. I need a camera which allows me to take a close up picture using the Macro mode without having to be 1 inch from the subject. I need to be around 1 foot from the subject. I do not want to go to the SLR type camerawith a macro lens because of weight and portability.

jvergara810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:39 PM   #2

The camera that is probably most like your old one is the C-7070. A great camera, but rather big (like your C-3040). Also, see if you can find the smaller C-5500 Sport Zoom - compact size and a lot of features for the money. Since these cameras were recently discontinued by Oly, you may have to do acomputer search and buy on-line.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:29 PM   #3

Steven,

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately, the C7070 has a different type of lens. I already tried it but it does not allow me to take pictures in a macro mode without getting too close to the subject.

Thanks again,

Jaime
jvergara810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

My Oly C-8080 takes great macro shots. There aremultiple macro modes, the regular, the super macro auto focus,and the super macro manual focus. While the super macro mode is for the subject really close to the front lens, the normal macro mode works with the full zoom range of the lens. So I can use the telephoto range of the lens and get a good macro close-up from a foot away.

I remember the C7070 as also having the multiple macro modes of regular and super macro. While the lens is not as long as my C8080 (27-110 vs. 28-140), you still should be able to use the macro mode at the 1 foot range. Did you try the C7070 in the different macro modes?

That said, don't forget to look at the C-5500 sport zoom. Per Steve's review at this website the macro ranges for the C5500 are:

"..Wide: 1.9' (0.6m) - infinity, Tele: 3.9' (1.2m) - infinity
Macro mode: Wide: 3" (0.08m) – 1.9' (0.6m), Tele: 1.9' (0.6m) – 3.9' (1.2m)
Super Macro: .07" (0.02m) – 3" (0.08m) (Wide only)"

Thant sounds like it would do what you need, and it has a 38-190 lens, so the telephoto macro should work well.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote