Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:05 PM   #11

1400's are a little low these days, especially old ones (you may still have voltage, but they lose current capability after that much time, expecially if you used them a lot). There's a message in General which I'll find in a minute where someone with a Nikon Coolpix was using batteries that he bought with the camera a few years ago and was wondering why his flash was taking so long to recharge...new batteries solved it. These days, get at least 1800's...I just got a set of 2000's and they last forever.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7903
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 7:40 PM   #12

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Sandisk Ultra 512MB CF card. I found a new retail pacakge for only $15.00 more than I paid for my Kingston that I sent back. So even if there is no performance gain over the regular Sandisk CF card with the C5050, I am not to worried about a few extra bucks!

I just hope this solves my problems. Only time will tell.
sotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 9:34 AM   #13

Default Olympus C-5050 Locking UP

I am having the same problem with my C-5050 that I have had for a month now.

The Problem:

When I turn it on the lens comes out but the only thing showing on the top window next to the shutter release is a battery icon. No buttons or dials will respond, including turning the thing off! It simply will not respond and I have to resort to removing the batteries and putting them back in. This usually resolves the problem in as so far as being able to shut it down.

Needless to say it's very fustrating. However, there are some very good suggestions here to take a look at. #1 being the voltage of batteries being used and #2 the make of CF card. I will be doing some testing to see if I can isolate if either of these two are the source of the problem and get back to this forum with the results.
pdkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 5:02 PM   #14

Assuming you're not using Alkaline batteries, and your NiMH batteries are high capacity (1600mAH or higher) and newly fully charged, I suggest a call to Olympus to get it fixed.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:25 AM   #15

I have had exactly the same problem with a Transcend 512Mb 30X card. The card works fine in a Nikon camera, and another 64Mb CF card works fine in the 5050.

I think that this is a firmware based memory timing issue in the 5050. It seems to happen less often with firmware version 78 than with the older 76 or 77. My 5050 is a 77.

Ask Olympus for a firmware upgrade to fix the bug. They won't give it to you, as they don't offer this type of support for their products as, eg Nikon and Canon do, but it will help to start making them think about it.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 1:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola
Ask Olympus for a firmware upgrade to fix the bug. They won't give it to you, as they don't offer this type of support for their products as, eg Nikon and Canon do, but it will help to start making them think about it.
I once asked an Olympus rep in a chat by arranged by Norman Camera about this (the Olympus rep is William Carp, Technical Representative with Olympus America, also the Olympus Marketing Support Representative for the Midwest region):

Q: Why can't we do firmware upgrades on our cameras; I've done them on computers, CDRs, modems, PDAs, and when going to a Canon page and clicking on a camera link, a window popped up saying there was a firmware upgrade available for free and where I can download it...why not Olympus?

<William Carp> We feel the opportunity for an error while upgrading firmware is too great and we would prefer the camera be serviced by the Olympus repair dept. This way we can control the environment in which a camera is upgraded and assure that it gets done right without harm to the camera.
Old May 5, 2003, 5:40 PM   #17

As far as I am concerned they are just evading their support responsibilities. I am now sitting with a semi-deficient camera and they refuse to support it.

I like their cameras but if they don't support them I will just have to move to another manufacturer. Most of the others, such as Nikon, Canon, etc will support their products.
Old May 5, 2003, 7:16 PM   #18

A friend of mine just had his Kingston 256 Mb go bad after having it for 2 weeks. It would take pictures just fine, but when he downloaded them to his computer, pictures 5-15 were always corrupt. I have heard some other people who are not happy with their Kingston cards also, I thought these were a dependable brand!
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2003, 11:30 AM   #19

Sotoman, you still there?

What happened to your 512Mb CF problem? Did the 512Mb Sandisk Ultra resolve the problem?

Anybody else have these problems with 512Mb CF cards with the 5050? If so, what is your firmware revision and which CF card did you use?