Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:01 PM   #1

Default Olympus C5050 with Kingston 512CF

I just purchased a new C5050 camera (my second Olympus) and a kingston 512 CF card. I have been using it for a couple of days now, playing with all the different shooting modes, and just learning the camera. I have captured and erased many pictures, and even formatted my card a couple of times on the camera just to test it out. I have been using digital cameras for about 4 years now.

Yesterday I took about 50 family pictures and I noticed the camera started acting funny. One time when I turned on the camera to view pictures, it wanted to re-format my CF card. I of course said power-off instead and turned the camera off and then on again. Then it seemed to be working fine. I took a few more pictures, and it started up again. This time it wouldn't let me take any pictures, once again complaining about the CF card, but then the camera would not turn itself off. I would turn the switch to the OFF position, but the camera would stay on and it seemed to be locked up or frozen. I cycled the camera on/off a couple of times, and changed the shooting mode dial a few times, and finally I got it to turn off. (don't remember exactly what I did though, I was in kind of a panic.)

So today, I came home from my trip, and for a third time, when I attempted to view the pictures on the camera, it complained about my CF card and would not turn off. Now, it will not work at all with the CF card. Everytime I try to view the pictures, or take pictures it just goes to the FORMAT screen. When I switch over to the XD media, it works just fine, and has always worked just fine with the XD media card.

I then attempted to remove the CF card and install it into my USB reader, and my XP machine just says the card needs to be formatted. I can not get either the camera or the PC to read this card.

Here is my problem. I have some very important pictures on this card, 4 generations of my family all together! I have not formatted anything yet, and am planning on calling Kingston tomorrow and finding out if they can retrieve these pictures. I would have normally not cared, but the pictures will never happen again, and I would be devistated to loose them. I don't know if there is anything else I can do, or if it even possible to retrieve the pictures from the flash chip.

So my dilema is, was my brand new CF flash card defective? It worked for a couple of days, then started acting up, and finally quit. And would it be possible that the CF card would make the camera not power off, and put it into some unkown state?

Or is my brand new C5050 camera defective? It works fine with the XD media, but I don't have another CF card to test it out. And if it does start working fine with a new CF card, will the same thing happen again?

Once again, the media was never removed from the camera, so whatever happened, happened internally from the CF flash card or camera.

Any comments?
sotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:01 AM   #2

There's a program called Digital Image Recovery that you can try, http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/dir/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:24 AM   #3

Thanks for that great lead. I downloaded Digital Image Recovery and it worked great. I got back over 90% of my photos, and all of the ones that really mattered.

Now I just need to figure out why this happened, and if I need to exchange my camera or my CF memory.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 4:42 AM   #4

Did you format the card when you first put it into the camera?

Did you try using the camera when the low battery indicator was flashing?

Do you bounce the camera when writing to the card (sometimes a bounce can temporarily make the battery lose contact and cause a glitch if writing to the card at the time).
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:46 PM   #5

Yes, I formatted the card when I first put it into the camera. I don't think the low battery indicator ever came on. I am only on my second set of batteries (first set went quick since I was learning how to use all the features). And I did put the second set in before I put in my new CF card.

I haven't ever noticed the batteries loosing contact. The camera has never just shut off or anyting like that. It has only locked up twice while trying to read from the CF card. And when I say locked up, I mean that the camera was on and nothing worked not even the on/off switch. It finally unfroze after about 10 seconds or so. Possibly the CF flash card was trying to read/write to the camera, although I did not see the light flashing.

Once I recovered my pictures, I went ahead a re-formated the card, and as I expected, it is working just fine now.

Are there any other known issues that can cause a CF card to become corrupted while using this camera. I might have attempted to turn off the camera during a read / write state without realizing it. And once I attempted to turn on the camera with the lens cap on, and immediated shut it off again. These can be pretty common mistakes for a new user so I would hope something like that would not cause a corrupted CF card.

I don't know. I will probalby send this CF card back and get another one and see what happens.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:16 PM   #6

Sotoman

I agree with you and send the card back. Also you might try and see if a friend has a CF card you can try.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:06 PM   #7

Interesting thread...

Many swear by the lesser known brands of Compact Flash, smartmedia, etc...

I prefer, however, to go with Sandisk exclusively .
If you shop around, you will find Sandisk media for considerably
less than retail price.

Also, I am curious why you wanted to format your CF so much...
Is there a reason you have opted to do this?

Glad to know you had a good outcome with the recovery software!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:22 PM   #8

I will send the CF card back today, and am trying to figure out which other brand to buy. I am probably going to get Sandisk since thats what I mainly used with my SM cards on my old camera, but which speed should I get? They have the regular and Ultra.

Is there really any difference in the speeds of the CF card with the C5050? I don't really do any fast shooting, except when trying to take shots of my 6 week old son and having to shoot quickly to catch 'just the right pose'. Even with the Kingston Memory, it seemed plenty fast to me, so I imagine anything will be at least as good or better.

I have read through a ton of posts on speed of CF with the C5050, but like usual, I am even more confused now. So I will probably stick with the Sandisk, but should I spend the extra $25.00 on the Ultra or not? I have an older microtech USB reader. Will it make a big difference in how fast the pictures download onto the PC. That would be a bonus for me.

As far as re-formatting so many times, I was just playing around and comparing how fast it could format a 512MB card versus my D-450Z formatting a 64MB card. Wow what a difference. I love my C5050!

Recovery software worked great, I highly recommend it for any digicam user!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoman
I don't think the low battery indicator ever came on. I am only on my second set of batteries (first set went quick since I was learning how to use all the features). And I did put the second set in before I put in my new CF card.
Are you using alkalines? You should be using NiMH AAs, 1800mAh or higher. You should only use alkalines only in an emergency.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 4:54 PM   #10

Ya, I'm using NiMH. I even have a couple sets of the 1400mA that I bought about 3 years ago for my D-450Z. Still work great! But I am using the higher capacity ones for my C5050.

Although I did use a set of the 1400mA batteries the first day I brought my camera home since thats all I had that was fully charged at the time. But I never used those batteries with my CF card, only the XD media. The camera was working fine, so I am sure it was getting enough current. But I'm not quite sure what current the camera is spec'd for.