Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:43 PM   #1
SSD

Default Olympus 740UZ Released?

I was under the impression this camera had not been released yet. It appears to be available and for sale at CircuitCity.com.
Does anybody have any info on this and the camera such as Low light performance? (indoors-kids,pets)

Please excuse my ignorance. I am a newbie trying to educate myself to make a good choice in a digicam!
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:41 AM   #2

The 740 is due out in April (750 in May) so if it isn't in stores yet it will be soon.

There is a review with samples at:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C740/C74A.HTM

Of the two, I'd prefer the 750 because of its ability to use an external flash.

Anyway though, if you are really serious about low-light photography (and you don't intend on spending over $300 for the Oly FL-40 flash) you may want to look at one of the other Olys with a focus assist beam. Digital cameras require a certain amount of light to focus, and one of the biggest complaints about the C-7x0 series is it won't focus in low light. If you don't need a long zoom, you may want to look at the C-5050, or one of the older Olys that has a focus assist beam (you may save some money too). Only look at the C-7x0's if you need a long zoom.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:09 AM   #3
SSD

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Do any of the Olys with the low light assistance have a longer zoom? I would like both if that is possible.
Thanks again!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:51 AM   #4

The only ultra zoom (UZ) camera that had a focus assist beam was the C-2100UZ. The other Olys that has focus assist are around 3x zoom.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
The only ultra zoom (UZ) camera that had a focus assist beam was the C-2100UZ. The other Olys that has focus assist are around 3x zoom.
Are the Olympus C-2100 uz and the E-100 the only Olympus diigcams with IS? I think Olympus no longer have IS available with all newer digicams.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:51 PM   #6

The IS in Olympus' cameras was Canon's technology, http://www.canon.com/technology/opti...ift/index.html

No one would buy the 2100UZ for the price Olympus was originally selling it for ($1000), so Oly had to lower the price and lost money on it...that's one of the reasons why Oly gave it up.

The other one was the E-100RS.

Now's the time for a new IS camera to enter the market, and Panasonic is taking up that challenge with the 12x 2mp DMC-FZ1.

Just to clarify what I mean by focus assist beam for those who don't know, the camera needs a certain amount of light to focus...if there's not enough light the camera won't focus. The AF assist beam lights up the scene with a redish (usually) light for just enough time for the camera to focus and then shuts off for the camera to take exposure measurements.
Old May 1, 2003, 3:04 PM   #7

Default C740UZ

Hi I already bougth a C740 about two weeks ago. Best price at www.us1camera.com $429.00 free shipping. I still practicing on the cam. Until now Im very happy with my cam. Dont forget to take time to read the manual.
Woody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 8:25 AM   #8

I have a C-740 and it's great and very very little.
Franco_Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote