Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Made the decision, bought a C-5050...what about accessories?

Well, I finally made up my mind and took the leap. Purchased a C-5050 for $555 (plus shipping). While waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering if anyone here can advise me on any "must have" extra accessories?
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 1:39 PM   #2

Hi Ruzicka,

Congrats on your new digcam

Memory for memories

Buy more Compact Flash!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:12 PM   #3

LOL Actually, I've already gotten 2 256MB CF cards! All I need now to use them is the camera!
What would be the best extra batteries/charger to get?
How about a good adapter/filter set?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 2:55 PM   #4

A lot of people like to get a tube and UV/Skylight filter on the camera to protect the lens assembly. Other people like this third party lens cap:

http://www.olycap.com

In regards to NiMH batteries, 1800mAh or higher is recommended (I use 2000mAh and they last forever, at least compared to my 1600mAh).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:08 PM   #5

Default Re: Made the decision, bought a C-5050...what about accessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzicka
Well, I finally made up my mind and took the leap. Purchased a C-5050 for $555 (plus shipping). While waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering if anyone here can advise me on any "must have" extra accessories?
The first and most important accessorie to get is the "CLA-1 lens adapter". That adapter will allow you to mount zoom, macro, wide lens, and lens filters.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 6:18 PM   #6

Best battery charger, debateable, is the Maha series. Check Steve's reviews for the latest model.

I like the Kenko 41mm to 52mm extension tube instead of the CLA1. It is much easier to find filters in the 52mm range. Contact the folks at www.2filters.com.
They sell various adapters, step up and down rings, filters, and lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:37 PM   #7

A 41mm to 52mm extension tube does not, even partially, block the autofocusing window?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzicka
A 41mm to 52mm extension tube does not, even partially, block the autofocusing window?
It will not effect the autofocusing, but may block the lower left corner of the photo when you use the bult-in flash.

Look at these samples. The darkening of the lower left side of the photo is caused by the larger lens blocking the flash. The larger the lens, 49mm+, the more severe.

gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:30 AM   #9

Hi All,

Some things to add about the 41-52 mm adapter plus UV filter.

It really improves the ergonomics of the camera. I've used SLRs for many years, and have become accustomed to holding the bottom of the lens barrel with my left hand as a way of steadying the camera, focusing (in the pre-autofocus days) and zooming. The lens barrel of the c5050 is too small to let this feel quite right. With the adapter (I use a Raynox - some other brands have shiny aluminum finishes that cause flare problems), it feels perfect.

The downside: it cuts off a very small part of the optical viewfinder's field of view, and it causes some darkening when using the built-in flash. It only takes a moment to remove the adapter when using the built-in flash.

Steve Price
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:55 PM   #10

The best accessories you can probably buy are a set of Olympus lenses. The wide angle and tele will enhance your joy of this camera immensely. But stick with the olies if you can afford them. I eneded up returning my original "better value" add-ons for the olympus ones: there is a difference.

Then i would also suggest a clear cover for the LCD. It just hurts to look at a scratch evcery time
You'll really enjoy this camera

hope ti helps.
cheers
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote