Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:43 PM   #11

Well thank you very much, Tat-

I really do appreciate the excellent feedback on the SP-500.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:04 PM   #12

It's been a while since I've got my SP-500 after selling C740 to someone else. I kept the lenses (raynox) and since there's been a bad weather where I live, I haven't used it much. Most of the time the pictures I take are wide angle including wide-angle lens. While for zoom, I place the 2.2x lens and go to full zoom, full resolution and get good shots, but of course during daylight.

We all know issues such as noise reduction and how to keep it low, trying hard to focus during low-light environment and so on, however I keep being a fan of Oly to its amazing colors and the ease of functionality. I'm glad they released SP-500 in black, otherwise I wouldn't have got it

I have taken over 150 shots (very few of them with flash) and still haven't got a sign of drained batteries although it's been two months since I got it (still using alcaline batteries included with the camera). Not sure if they get eaten up by the camera very fast, however I could tell better after I start using my 1800NiMh batteries.

I have to admitt I don't like the fact that videos get saved in QT format. It forces me and other people to install QuickTime in the computer just to see it. MPEG would be much nicer.

That's it, would post more if I'd experienced more from this new camera.
Cheers
Drini
DriniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:47 PM   #13
E.T

DriniS wrote:
Quote:
I have to admitt I don't like the fact that videos get saved in QT format. It forces me and other people to install QuickTime in the computer just to see it. MPEG would be much nicer.
Now why to use unQuicktime bloatware?
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Also qt is just "container", video itself is propably motion-JPEG compressed.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:44 AM   #14

Yea right, alternative players, but you still have to install something, don't you?

To me it just looks like Olympus is somehow being close toMAC users rather thanto the widespread Windows ones.

That's my opinion anyways.
Cheers
DriniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:04 PM   #15

Tat2dGuy wrote:
Quote:
I've had the sp-500uz for about 6 months now.

I just made the cross over from 35mm to digital and here are my views on the sp-500uz.

--- CONS ---

2nd -- the add on wide angle and telephoto zoom lens CAN NOT recieve a filter. This might not be too important to the average joe, but lens filters are extremely important to me. Yes, you could put the lens filter inbetween the add-on lens and the actual camera, but doesnt that sortof defeat the purpose of protecting your add-on lens?
That is not an issue with the camera since you can use other add-on lenses that front threads.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:07 PM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Stefla-

Yes, as a professional digital camera instructor, I am very familiar with the Panasonic FZ-30 camera. In fact,I purchased one and promptly returned it due to the excessive (IMHO) noise produced by the FZ-30.

MT
As a professional digital camera instructor you should know that you will not be happy with the noise output of any ultrazoom. Just keep swaping lenses and be happy. You already have more cameras than you need anyway.

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:32 PM   #17

Besides the annoyance of using quicktime, I would prefer to use something other than the xd cards your forced to use with Olympus. On the plus side they aresmall but minus side they aremore expensive than the SD and other cards. Also the prices of most cards including the XD cards have fallen so much that the higher price of XD cards isn't that big a deal anymore. It just would have been nice to use some of the SD cards I already had.
rlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:12 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Stefla-

I guess the answer is simply this: each and every one of us have our own threshold concerning noise. Fo me the FZ-30 was out of my tolerance level.

I am happy however, that you are happy with your FZ-30. That is good for you.

MT
No, he didn't get a bad camera. The FZ-30 has unacceptable noise levels at all ISO settings as has been pointed out in every major review and by the two that I purchased and returned for that very reason.
44Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:48 PM   #19

Yes, I am seriously disappointed in mine. I got it 5-09-06 and have only shot a couple hundred photos with it, the more I use it the deeper my disappointment gets. My big issue is the almost nonexistant autofocus, my Fuji A205 does a more consistent job. The SP500 "vacuums" severly. I was on the phone earlier this week asking if there was a firmware update in the works addressing this, the answer was "not that I am aware of and if one does not come out by the end of the year it likely will not happen".

The other issue is the sequential shooting mode, I can shoot faster with a disposable film camera and manual film advance. I will definitely be looking at a different "rebelious" brand next time!! But, hey, it is just my opinion.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote