Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 4, 2003, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Q about AF illuminator feature and C2100

Hi!

With all the mess in my head about which digicam i should buy , i have a few q about Oly's digicams!

First of all, i keep hearing the words "Oly's sucks buy a Nikon instead" every time i've mention that i wanted to buy a C-730 or a c2100 (i was recommended the Nikon cp4500, but the op zoom...).
In the reviews i keep reading about the AF illuminator, How important is this?!
The IS feature comes in handy but i've read other topics about it and i still dont know what to do!

Note: I want to be able to take shots with dimm light and also nights shots using the zoom.

Cumps to all :lol:
xf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2003, 2:42 PM   #2

Depends on what you're shooting...if you're shooting people or things nearby, then a AF assist beam is handy, but if you're shooting say at a hockey game then it's useless. It's also useless for night landscape shooting...for those times you want to be able to override focus manually, shutter, aperture, etc.

Here's how autofocus works, and why you need a certain amount of light for it (and you can figure out why AF assist beam is handy):

http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 4:17 PM   #3

ic!

Tx Mike_PEAT .

Dang, this digicam searching is giving a hard time!
Found a Oly c2100 NEW for 774 Euro ($830us). I'm not planning to buy a new camera within the next 5 or 6 years so i've got to get something that lasts.

Oh well
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:10 PM   #4
lg

Since you mentioned the C-2100, the AF illuminator is a orange light that illuminates the center of your subject long enough for the autofocus mechanism to set the focus. It only comes on when there is insufficient ambient light for the camera to focus, and it will allow you to take sharply focused pictures (with flash) even in complete darkness at any distance up to 10-13 feet max.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:54 PM   #5

Ok ppl, i've read about the AF illuminator, and the f-stops, and this and that. I'm almost convinced to get this digicam.

C2100 users tell me:
I wont be printing much of my pics, but if so 70% of them will be in 4x6 size (10x15 cm). In 4x6 i wont be loosing quality but what about the ocasional 8x10 prints? How's the quality loss in this digicam?

Acessories issue.
Since this digicam is no longer produced by Oly getting my hands on them will be some what difficult? I mean filters, waterproof boxes (for scuba diving,rainny days and water sports shots) or in case anything brakes.
I know that there must be some sort of compatible material that works in this camera, right?

I mean, c2100 was released in y2k, i dont want to be stuck in case something goes wrong! I cant afford to buy a new digicam within the next 4 years (i'm a university student)!!
E.g. : i have a Panasonic NV-A1 videocam, it's about 8 or 9 years old and i've only fix it once (the only prob is finding a compatible batterie pack in europe). Finding acessories for it is very hard. This is a good example of how long i intend to make use of this digicam, at least 6 years.

I know the digicam development is like the cpu development, it's in a constant progress!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 5:29 PM   #6
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xf20
C2100 users tell me:
I wont be printing much of my pics, but if so 70% of them will be in 4x6 size (10x15 cm). In 4x6 i wont be loosing quality but what about the ocasional 8x10 prints? How's the quality loss in this digicam?
If you don't crop your photo, you can get great 8x10s. If you crop it, you can still get very sharp and clear 5x7's and smaller.
Quote:
Acessories issue.
Since this digicam is no longer produced by Oly getting my hands on them will be some what difficult? I mean filters, waterproof boxes (for scuba diving,rainny days and water sports shots) or in case anything brakes.
I know that there must be some sort of compatible material that works in this camera, right?
The lens takes any add-on with standard 49mm threads. I'd suggest the WCON-08E .8x wide angle converter for 30mm equivalent, and the B-300 1.7x teleconverter to turn your camera into a 646mm zoom. Both require a 49-55mm step-up ring. The B-300 is out of production, but can usually be found on eBay. The WCON-08E is readily available from reputable places like B&H Camera. I have a 49mm polarizing lens-- either circular or linear will work fine.

The camera has TTL flash metering, and has a standard PC flash connector as well-- there are several TTL flashes available-- the FL40 and Promaster 5750DX are good. Any non-dedicated flash will work as well.

You will probably want to get a card reader that takes Smartmedia cards-- virtually any will work just fine. (I wouldn't recommend using the USB cable that comes with the camera-- unless you have a later version of the Camedia software; auto USB wasn't available when this camera was in production).

Get at least a couple of extra sets of NimH 1800+ maH batteries and a couple of 64-128MB Smartmedia cards and you'll be set.

I have a Samsonite Worldproof bag that fits the camera like a glove. If you won't be carrying around a lot of extra lenses, let me know and I'll look up the model number for you.

I can't recommend an underwater housing, but I'm sure there's someone out there who may be helpful in that area.
Quote:
I mean, c2100 was released in y2k, i dont want to be stuck in case something goes wrong! I cant afford to buy a new digicam within the next 4 years (i'm a university student)!!
As for getting the camera fixed... Olympus stands behind their products, and you should always be able to get it repaired. The warranty work Olympus has done for me has been outstanding.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:04 PM   #7

Thanks lg!!!

I've hold it in my hand already (about an hour ago) and it feels great!!

It's 774euros (about $830us) and the dealer "ofers" me a 64MB SM card!

"Get at least a couple of extra sets of NimH 1800+ maH batteries and a couple of 64-128MB Smartmedia cards and you'll be set.
"
Sure i'll!

Oly's E100rs price is 794,99euros and Canon pro90is is about 1200 euros. I'll stick to the c2100 instead!

By the end of next week, i'll have it!

Also, i dont plan to carry around much more than the camera, the charger and a few minor things! What do u recommend?

Tx a lot for the tips!

V
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:17 PM   #8
lg

I have the Samsonite Worldproof 3.02. I can get everything in it you mentioned plus my wide-angle lens as well. It has lots of pockets, is extremely comfortable to carry, and protects everything inside quite well. There are probably other good choices out there, but from the selections I had available, this one was the best for me.