Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1

Anyone know where I can find reviews with photos for the 720 SW. My two favorite sitesdo not have reviews yet - steves-digicams and dpreview.

This camera was due out in March and is now available. I have been holding off buying a pocket camera until this shockproof, dustproof, waterproof, image stabilized offering from Olympus is reviewed. These are desirable features but I need to see photos. Photo quality was disappointing on some previous Olympus models compared to similarly priced competitors. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Olympus has done a better job on this camera since its shockproof, dustproof and waterproof features are unique for pocket cameras. I am anxiously awaiting reviews and photo comparisons. I want a camera I can carry around in my pocket, to supplement my other larger cameras.
Stefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:20 PM   #2

I posted some pics a few topics down. Let me know what type of samples you would like to see. The camera takes very nice pictures. I like the numorous preset programs. The "through glass" feature takes excellent aquarium pics. I haven't used the "museum" program, but look forward to, esp. where flashes are allowed. It feels nice in the hand, and the LCD is clear and bright. Not too bad in full sunlight. It is currently available at Best Buy. They must have some sort of exclusive deal with Olympus because many sites are indicating they aren't getting any until April.
Dave in NJ
bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:59 PM   #3

The Olympus Stylus 720Sw is a very new camera. I did a review search and was unable to find any full reviews. The were several previews and that is all.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:41 PM   #4

Hi Dave, it sounds as though you are enjoying your new 720. Thanks for posting those photos. What I find most useful are side by side comparison photos of competing cameras posted in reviews. However, if you have any outdoor shots, that would be helpful - buildings, trees and sky. Also, skin tones in outdoor portrait shots. Thanks for offering.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5

Three shots I already had using the outdoor landscape/portrait mode:

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/b1.jpg

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/hideface.jpg

http://web.mac.com/davidpoe/iWeb/Site/w.jpg

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanks Dave, those photos look good. I don't see any purple fringing in the high contrast areas and the skin tones look natural. It looks like you have a great camera there.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:24 AM   #7

Dave,

I am looking at the same camera, and was excited to see that you had some links with photos. I've only had one problem though, all of the links are coming up with a 404 from mac.com . Do you happen to have them posted anywhere else? I'm really interested to see how the camera does with underwater photos.

Thanks,

Peter.
Repete130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:34 AM   #8

Sorry Peter,
I upgraded my site from homepage.mac.com to web.mac.com, so I lost the images. I'll post somemore them again tonite if you are interested.
Dave
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #9

I edited the links, they will work now. sorry no U/W photos yet, going to Punta Cana on 4.28, so there will be plenty after my trip.
Dave
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:31 PM   #10

Dave,

Thank you for updating the links. The photos looked good. I'm about to take a trip to the Philippinesthe first part of April and trying to decide if to purchase this camera or another model. I read another post on this site where someone had a concern about the plastic area in front of the lens getting scratched do you see that as a valid concern? Also have you taken any photos in low light and if so how did those come out?

Peter.

Repete130 is offline   Reply With Quote