Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:53 AM   #1

I have just discovered the Raw Enabler program for my C-765 . I can take the raw pictures (stored as JPG with 5,939,200 byte size) and copy them to my PC .. Then I have used the RawWork utility to convert to NEF but Photoshop CS2 (with v3.3 of Raw PlugIn) wont open the files because they are not "the right kind of document"

In RawWork I am selecting C765UZ .. which is set to 2304x1708 although the jpegs have a size of 2288x1712 ... creating a setting with 2288x1712 seems to make no difference.

the other settings in RawWork are ..

BPP : 12
Pattern : RGBG
FileSize : 5939200

Has anyone any idea what I am doing wrong ?

uphillsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2

You have to tick "Compatibiltiy mode".
Good luck!
mguergov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks for that suggestion..

Set the flag and now it is producing a usable NEF file. But why is there a very wide black border around the image .. The total image size is 3264x2448 (8.0MP) ? The photo inside that image is only approx 2302x1722 (4.0MP) ?

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:43 AM   #4

RawWork (inside is the program Olyraw2nef) is written for 8.0 MPix photo.
I use without "Compatibility mode" and later convert the NEF with SILKYPIX - a nice RAW converter.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #5

Is there any decent documentation for Olyraw2nef or RawWork in english ? my russian is not so hot....

I hoping that using Olyraw2nef directly, with some sort of more detailed settings file, will enable me to produce smaller files than 8MP

thanks for your help so far..

Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:04 AM   #6

There is no English documentation for the interface program (RawWork). There is a very short English read.me for Olyraw2nef. There is no possibility (till now, as far as I know) to make the file to be compatible with more programs without the black "frames".
I preffer using RawWork - it is very friendly. Olyraw2nef is DOS based command line.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 5:44 AM   #7

If the wasted space was too much of a problem, and I had the time, it might be fun to look at the conversion process.... It seems like a simple transposition of the pixel array, topped and tailed by some Nikon-specific headers and footers..

When I eventually acquire a DSLR, I shall use that for the critical pictures, and retain the C-765 for carrying around. The quality of the pics from the C-765, especially when the manual controls are used, far surpass most point-and-shoot cameras.