Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:52 PM   #1

Default FishEye for the C-4000Z?

Are there any Fisheye adapters for it? Or do you guys have tips for reproducing the fisheye effect when using a pano software? I find that it's a hit-and-miss when I'm using Panorama Factory to produce the fisheye effect.

TIA,

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:40 AM   #2

Check out this page which compares various converters (these are on the C-2100, but you can use them with the same tube adapter):

http://members.aol.com/pixbydg/waweb/wa.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:14 AM   #3

Default Fisheye effect

It wouldn't be possible to have the fisheye effect in a complete panorama, if you are talking about a panorama stitched from more than one picture. Therefore I guess that you want to apply the fisheye effect to single pictures for the benefit of the fisheye effect itself. You can do this conversion (and many more useful corrections) with the free Paintshop/Photoshop plugin software PANORAMA TOOLS, available under:

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

After installing the software you will find under picture > plugin filters > Panorama Tools the option "REMAP". Convert from Normal to Fisheye hor or vert, depending on the orientation of your picture. You can play with the Field-of-view figures. In the case of horizontal orientation you may start with: HFOV=150, VFOV=45.

For minimum conversion losses select: Prefs > More > Sinc

After the conversion your picture outline will no longer be rectangular but near circular. You will probably find out that Panorama Tools has a wealth of features of outstanding quality.

If your wide angle shots have a brightness falloff to the corners, it can be corrected with Correct > Radial Luminance > Options 20 20 20 (find optimum value).

If you want to get rid of purple fringes from chromatic abberation, select: Correct > Radial Shift > Options > Radial, and change only Green, the rightmost figure, from "1" to "0,9993" (Komma!). With this procedure you shrink the green content of your picture minimally, which reverses the cause of typical CA, a scale offset of the colour GREEN. You can modify the last digit for optimum results. You will be surprised how well this works.

Let me know your results!

Good Luck, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:36 AM   #4

Default Re: Fisheye effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertRD
It wouldn't make sense to use the fisheye effect for a panorama, if you are talking about a panorama stitched from more than one picture....
Take a look at some of Big Ben's 360x180 panoramas - http://www.bigbenpublishing.com.au/v...ual/index.html Some of the best panos I have seen - shot with a fisheye and stitched with Panorama Tools.

PT is a must for anyone who is serious about panoramas, and very usefull for other things as well, e.g., projection transformations such as rectilinear to fisheye.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:52 AM   #5

Default Fisheye/Panoramas

Bill,

You got me wrong. Of course panorama pieces can be taken through a fisheye lens, as I have done with the NIKON fisheye converter. But for stitching into a panorama it takes a conversion to rectilinear. This becomes obvious when you look at the JPG image of a spherical panorama without the viewer.

Regards, Herbert
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:24 PM   #6

Herbert -> That setting of Pano Tools is not very effective, IMHO. Unfortunately, I think it's the best emulator available currently. For the type of fisheye that I want, I think I have no choice but to buy a lens.

MIKE -> That Phoenix sounds promising at $100USD. Thanks-a-bunch. I also found a Raynox for $400USD. However, both require step-up rings that are hard to find.

Regards,

Oz
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Check out this page which compares various converters (these are on the C-2100, but you can use them with the same tube adapter):
So has anyone actually used this on the C4000Z? I just purchased the camera 3 weeks ago and am experimenting with 360 panoramics and it seeems that they would be a lot better when using a fisheye lens. I just want to get some more feedback before I start emptying my bank account (again)!

Greg
gschnoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:58 AM   #8

Default Sperical Panoramas, Fisheye Lens

Oz,

So you want to take real 360 degree spherical panoramas. Then of course a fisheye lens makes sense. Otherwise, there would be the option to take a series of regular shots, several rows and columns, very time and energy consuming and difficult to stitch.

The only fisheye adaptor really useful is the NIKON FC-E8 with a coverage of over 180 degrees. Spherical panoramas of full 360 degrees can be taken with 2 or better 3 shots. Assembly works best with Panorama Tools:

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

plus the PtGui front end:

http://www.ptgui.com/

The Nikon fisheye has a 28 mm thread and was designed for Coolpix cameras. The FC-E8 adaptor has a small diameter rear lens. It does only match with small diameter camera front lenses, either fixed focus or the Nikon type of zoom lenses. The adaptor is a heavy device and requires SOLID support. It does NOT match with any of the Olympus zooms, both optically (heavy vignetting) and mechanically.

Unfortunately, there is a legal obstacle against creating entire spherical panoramas with a 180 degree fisheye. IPIX Imaging of America succeeded in getting a patent on that procedure, which is ridiculous and a scandal. For every 360 deg spherical panorama produced with a 180 deg. fisheye lens you have to pay them a royalty. This goes for the USA and maybe some other countries. I do not know the details. For that reason Helmut Dersch had to restrict his free "Panorama Tools" to a vertical 160 degrees. But there are also "fixed" 180 degree DLLs available on the internet:

http://www.ueckermann.de/pano12/

After assembling with PtGui as XX.pan files, spherical panoramas can be viewed with the excellent and smooth iMove viewer, free download under:

http://p3.imoveinc.com/viewers/

Regards, Herbert
Old Apr 25, 2003, 7:41 PM   #9

No, no Herbert. I don't want 360-deg. panos. I just want the fisheye effect. I'll show you some samples when I get the chance.

Oz