Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 19, 2006, 1:46 AM   #11

OlympusTSrep1 wrote:
Quote:
Your camera is likely to be part of the recall. Olympus will likely cover the cost of the repair and the cost of shipping may also be covered. Just call up Olympus Technical support and see if your C750 serial number falls into the recall list and you can get Customer Service from there to negotiate the details of the repair.
Wow, this sounds great. I've already sent the camera to Olympus for repair. I hope they have the same customer service in Germany.
Do you maybe have a link to some more info (like serial numbers) that fall into the recall category ? (I've searched the net for it but I couldn't find it)
Thanks,
Nicu
nicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 2:15 AM   #12

Im sorry the documents in question clearly state "for internal use only" but I dont think the problem was localized to the US. It is probably C-5050s and 750uz all over the world. I dont think olympus would like me posting the serial #s on the net. The only direct action I think you can take is call German Technical support or customer service and told them you heard about the recall. They then can take appropriate action and verify your serial number. Since that would have to be the end result anyway. I hope this information has helped you

Thank you.
OlympusTSrep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 9:15 PM   #13

OlympusTSrep1 wrote:
Quote:
Im sorry the documents in question clearly state "for internal use only" but I dont think the problem was localized to the US. It is probably C-5050s and 750uz all over the world. I dont think olympus would like me posting the serial #s on the net. The only direct action I think you can take is call German Technical support or customer service and told them you heard about the recall. They then can take appropriate action and verify your serial number. Since that would have to be the end result anyway. I hope this information has helped you

Thank you.

Hi OlympusTSrep1,

I bought my C750 back in 2003. I got it serviced last year (I think) and the service agent upgraded the firmware. I've noticed over time that my camera is getting sluggish and just isn't performing as well as it used to. The camera is noticeably slower when it tries to focus (sometimes it will take at least 20 seconds to focus) and sometimes the photo will be crystal clear when I focus (ie press button halfway) but when I take the photo, it comes out slightly blurry :/ This is in situations where I'm not zoomed in. It never used to do this. Also sometimes it will take a while to respond to the fact that you've pressed the shutter button and thus you miss the photo you wanted as whatever it was you were taking a photo of has already moved. This is extremely frustrating. I love this camera and have taken heaps of brilliant photos with it in the couple of years I've had it but it's getting to the point where it's performing so terribly that I just don't want to use it. I've had a look at the latest cameras on offer and none of them really tickle my fancy. I was just wondering if you think it's worth while getting the camera serviced again or whether I should just give up on it and try to find myself a new camera?
blakkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:13 AM   #14

Its really up to you to make the final determination. You will just need to see the current line of cameras and see if any meets your needs. I have noticed older cameras that have been out for a few years take a while to "warm up" in regards to performance. However keep in mind the problem you are describing may be the lens is out of alignment and if it needs to get serviced it is out of warrenty there will be a charge.
You probably already have several XD cards. My personal favorite is the SP500UZ everyone harps on it for lack of IS but it seems just fine to me as manual settings make IS a little how shall I say "underwhelming". Lack of IS is not really an issue until you are at the long end of the zoom.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:15 AM   #15

It still is a good idea to send it in, as there is no charge for evaluating the camera and finding problems "if any". Our service centers generally do a good job although I do get the occasional complaint "my camera is still broken" or something of that nature in which case customer service takes over and handles the situation and resolves it.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:01 PM   #16

I'm in Australia and over here, we have to pay to get the camera looked at I'll take it in anyway though - it's been a very good camera and I'd rather not replace it if I don't have to. Thanks for your help
blakkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:22 AM   #17

I have been reading the problems of the C 750. My son has one and it has been great. He went on a trip and on the 2nd day he said the screen went blank/white. Looking thru the view finder was white too and it doesn't take pictures. Would this be something that is a common problem? Any suggestions? Would this be included in the recall? Any help or direction is appreciated!
flossy is offline   Reply With Quote