Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 20, 2006, 1:06 PM   #1

My Olympus Camedia C-5500 worked fine until a while ago when I played with the settings! Since then, no matter what I tried, I can't get th eflah to work. How do I determine if this is a broken flash or settings issue? Where can I get it fixed? I am handy with fixing things. Where canI get the parts to fix it? How do I diagnose what to fix?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bulent Dervisoglu
Bulent Dervisoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2
Administrator

If it was working before you started messing with settings, then you probably turned it off.

Use the flash mode button (looks like a lightening bolt) to cycle between the flash mode choices (Auto, Red-Eye Reduction,Slow Sync, Fill Flashand Forced Off).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 2:04 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If that isn't the problem, chances are another setting is not allowing the use of flash. For example, with some cameras you need to be in single shot versus continuous drive mode.

To reset it back to factory defaults, go to your Setup menu and turn ALL RESET On. Then, whenever you power off the camera it won't retain any settings changes you made (it will go back to factory default settings whenever you power it back on each time).

f
Old May 20, 2006, 4:21 PM   #4

I tried the reset to factory settings but that did not help. Flash mode is turned on (it appears) but there is no flash. I am becoming convinced that flash is broken. But what/how do I have it fixed?

Thanks,

Bulent Dervisoglu
Bulent Dervisoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 4:37 PM   #5
Administrator

Well, unless someone else has any ideas, I don't know what to tell you. It seems unlikely that it would break right after you were making settings changes (I'd suspect your settings changes more than a component failure).

I'd check your drive mode, too (just to make sure it's not left in continuous, as I don't know if this camera will work that way or not with flash).

Here is the Service Information Page:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...vicerepair.asp

If it's outside of warranty and it is a component failure causing it, I don't know what they're charging for repairs lately.

Most manufaturers are gong to a flat rate pricing structure on digicams, and it may not be worth what they'd want to fix one. I'd call them and ask.

P.S. -- I'd look closely for evidence of some kind of switch contact sticking on it (something is going to tell the camera when you've opened the flash, so a switch could be sticking a bit).

If you can't see the switch contacts used when you pop up the flash, you may want to try opening and closing it a few times, just in case a switch is just sticking and you may be able to loosen it up. If it's a component failure, it could be almost anything (bulb, capacitor, etc.).