Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Finally a Comparison Between the B-300 and TCON-17

Well folks the TCON-17 has finally arrived and available for purchase at www.adorama.com for $99.95. Yes, a much cheaper price than the overpiced B-300. Though, the B-300 has been dropping price, it is still sold at a much higher price than the TCON-17 at ebay.

Look at the image comparison between both lens HERE!!!!

Post what you think, and would you all still pay top $$$ for the B-300?
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2003, 12:41 PM   #2

I think the TCON gives slightly sharper images (assuming all things equal) and less CAs. You can see the difference on the notices.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:40 PM   #3
lg

The TCON 1.7 appears slightly sharper from corner to corner and has a little less CA than the B300 in the photo of the No Swimming sign. Although the EXIF data is identical for both lenses, there is more detail in the shadows of the B300. Is this because it gathers more light than the TCON 1.7? Is that why there's a little more CA?

I'd like to see some comparison photos in lower light conditions, such as photographing birds or animals in a wooded area. Since that's probably what I would be using the teleconverter for, that would be of more interest to me.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
The TCON 1.7 appears slightly sharper from corner to corner and has a little less CA than the B300 in the photo of the No Swimming sign. Although the EXIF data is identical for both lenses, there is more detail in the shadows of the B300. Is this because it gathers more light than the TCON 1.7? Is that why there's a little more CA?

I'd like to see some comparison photos in lower light conditions, such as photographing birds or animals in a wooded area. Since that's probably what I would be using the teleconverter for, that would be of more interest to me.
I'm not sure if the B-300 absorbs more light, but I do know the TCON-17 is made with the new ED type lens or glass.

Here is another photo from a German website that compared the B-300 and TCON-17. CLICK HERE
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:12 AM   #5

Here's a photo of a bird taken in the evening. Taken with an UZI and the TCON-17 attached.

http://www.pbase.com/image/16122970
manof1000faces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 1:50 PM   #6
lg

Thanks for the house sparrow pic! What I really wanted to see was the same pic taken with both lenses for comparison. I see that Lin Evans posted in another forum that the TCON 1.7 is probably a new production of the B300, perhaps with better glass. Maybe that's the way I ought to be leaning! Thanks again.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 4:38 PM   #7

Default TCON-17

Which adaptation do you recommend to connect the TCON-17 to a C4000Z?
Thanks and Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote