Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 1, 2003, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Slower lens?

I know I could post this anywhere, but since I found somthing comparing 2 Oly cameras, I thought I would ask here.

This is some specs I got off a website comparing the D-550 and the D-560 and I am unsure of what it means. I can't seem to find a good website either that talks in my lanuage describing what it means, all I know is it said the lens is slower, can anybody give me a clue what this means and how does this affect a camera? (550 = f/2.9-4.4, 560= f/3.1-5.2). Does slower lense affect picture quality?

Also, another odd question that may be very obvious, does a bigger lens mean better quality of a picture? Comparing like a C-4000 and a D series Olympus camera, does a bigger lens play an important part in the quality of picture?
-Dave
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 12:16 PM   #2

Slower lens will certainly limit you to low light exposure options. With a slower lens, you may have a hard time getting the right exposure for low light photos, such as in night time photos.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2003, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
can anybody give me a clue what this means and how does this affect a camera? (550 = f/2.9-4.4, 560= f/3.1-5.2). Does slower lense affect picture quality?
A fast lens does the 100 in sub 10 secs..... :lol:

A fast lens lets more light in than a slow lens. A fast lens would be F2.8 min, a very fast lens F2 or better.

Quote:
does a bigger lens mean better quality of a picture?
Not necessarilly, a fast lens could also be rubbish and a slow lens extremely good.

It is however unusual to find a fast lens which is of really poor quality as they are normally reserved for expensive quality cameras.

Quote:
550 = f/2.9-4.4, 560= f/3.1-5.2).
F2.9 Vs F3.1 is of no real significance, in fact both are reasonbly fast lenses but both have very limited F ranges. My concern here would be the F4.4 and F5.2 which would restrict the Depth of Field.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote