Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 2, 2003, 10:02 AM   #1

Default OK. My C-5050 has finally arrived. What should I set first?

All of you who have already purchased this camera (C-5050), please make any recommendations you can for me to configure my camera. I've read the manual and have not found anything too interesting about it. But what say you in the "real world"? What do you think is the first configuration for its optimal performance?

Any tips?
Kareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 10:29 AM   #2

Kareem

Start shooting auto mode. Then try variations in manual mode. Use the auto mode shots to compare with the variations. Different locations, lighting, etc will make a difference.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 5:06 PM   #3

It really depends on the situation and the subject...suggest you get familiar with the camera first before locking in configurations. Also suggest you take a trip to http://www.photocourse.com where you can read a free online book on the basics of digital photography.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4

You'll soon find the on-camera flash is pretty weak and prone to red eye. Get an auxiliary flash and a bracket. I like the Sunpak DS20 on a KISS bracket. Combined price is under $60.00 and it gets rid of the red eye. The DS20 tilts up for better skin tones too. See them at http://www.therollbar.com HTH. PatiO.
Bob Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 4:45 PM   #5

The question is, will the DS20 work with preflashes? Of course the C-5050 has the benefit of having a slave flash mode so it will work IF the camera is switched to that mode (just wished other Olys can do that...why can't Oly get their act together and have the basic form factor (two strap points, hotshoe, focus asist beam, slave flash mode, etc) on all their C-series cameras (and learn from their SLR division on how to build a camera).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote