Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 9, 2003, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Another newbie question...

Ok, it might be just a bad analysis... but it seems like alot of people will trade zoom for pixels... would that be correct? I mean, UZI owners are rabidly loyal to that camera, but it's like, just, 2mp... They seem to want to buy other peoples UZI's like they have Wonka's golden tickets in 'em...

OK, I'm having fun, but it is a serious question... Panasonic is putting out a 2mp 12x zoom camera, and my initial impression is "so what? It's only 2mp." But I see legit excitement from people...

What am I missing here? Please help me understand.

I don't want to just buy a camera to point and shoot, I really want to LEARN how to use it. Practice composition, et al. I don't want to be guilty of just spending too much money on a 5mp, when it would be cheaper to cut my teeth on a less "able" camera. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I ramble, that's what I do... But I've got a serious itch to go digital, and my tax return just back... I'm ready to go.

rfp
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2003, 1:17 PM   #2

Unless you intend to print your pics at some massive size 2mp is just enough. Viewed on the screen you can't tell the difference between them.

I have downloaded uzi images and printed them at A4 and they are very good. I'll stick my neck out and say as good as 3mp because the images are so noiseless and clean - that's my theory anyway.

Also, you cannot compensate (by cropping, resizing etc) for the big zoom.

What really makes the uzi so popular is the image stabilised zoom. The uzi is a particularly good image producing device - but it's a beast of a thing.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 1:18 PM   #3

BTW, the Panasonic is more of a P+S with no proper manual settings.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 1:33 PM   #4

The uzi popularity is derived from the image stablization system that Olympus installed in the camera. 2mp pics will provided excellent 5X7 and smaller prints. The IS, as Steve pointed out, reduces the noise in the ultra zoom mode.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 10:30 PM   #5

What you're missing, what others already mentioned, the image stabilization.

The thing with long zoom cameras is you are not only magnifying how close the subject appears, but you are also magnifying camera shake...if you move the camera 1mm at 10x zoom you are also magnifying that movement. Cameras like the Oly C-2100 and the Canon ProIS use this mechanism to reduce shaky camera syndrome:

http://www.canon.com/technology/opti...ift/index.html

You can see in the right pane how IS got rid of the camera shake. Understand now?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:06 PM   #6
lg

Yes, IS is the big selling point, but there are few 2MP cameras that take as sharply focused or accurately exposed pics as the UZI. Compared to a Nikon CP 3MP camera I have used, it takes much better pictures. Besides, it's easy to use, has just about all the controls you may want later on, and the new camera came with lots of extras that seem to be left out in some of the refurbished ones I've seen lately. Rechargeable batteries and charger, RM-1 remote, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, and the lens caps are some of these items. If you buy one, be sure to compare the list in Steve's review of the camera to what comes with the camera.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 1:33 PM   #7

Default thanks...

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It was very useful information!
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote