Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 11, 2003, 6:40 AM   #1

Default Question re. camera dealers

I'm about to buy a C-5050. The local Best Buy has them for $799 with a extended warranty for $99 more.
I like this warranty because it was explained to me tnat no matter what happens (with reason I'm sure) they will fix or replace the camera.

However, I've seen prices far less, ie. BuyDig sells it for $609 with the extedned warranty for $89. My concern is I've never herd of this company and their warranty sounds less forgiving. Not to mention the fact that with Best Buy, I only have to return the camera to the store and I'm reasonably assured that they will be there in two or three years when and if I need a repair or replacement.

What advice could you offer with reguard to BuyDig, Best Buy and warranties?

Thanks

Rich
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2003, 9:30 AM   #2

Newegg.com has it for $669.00. I buy whatever I can from them because they are highly rated at resellerratings.com
Old Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 3:50 PM   #3

Forget the BestBuy warranty...they'll say ANYTHING to get you to buy it (yes, if the camera is dropped, and then run over by a car we'll fix it), and when it comes time when you need to use it they say anything to weasle out of it, "Sorry, the warranty doesn't cover that." (even though they told you implicitly when you bought it that the extended warranty does cover that type of damage, like dropping it).

If you want a good extended warranty, get the one directly from Olympus...at least you know it will be fixed properly if there's a problem, rather than by someone trying to fix it with a sledgehammer! Sure Olympus won't promise the world like Best Buy does, but at least you know what is or isn't covered.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 10:08 PM   #4

Default Warranties...

What about those Mack warranties... I see that several retailers, especially those on Ebay, offer those. Anybody had any anecdotal stories on those?

Some Ebayer's are offering refurbs with a free Mack warranty which is a five year deal... The coverage seems reasonable.

rfp
rfphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 6:16 AM   #5

I bought both of my cameras from www.buydig.com and am very pleased with them. They do not try to push you to buy accessories and are very quick. Their website lists which cameras are in stock. I never buy extended warrantys, so can't help you there. I believe buydig sells a Mack warranty.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2003, 10:58 AM   #6

I agree with Mike about the BestBuy warranty. It sucks as soon as you try to have something repaired. I have purchased from buydig and was pleased with the service.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 10:52 PM   #7

Thanks for all your replies. I ordered the C5050 and a Sony digital video camera from an online dealer. I saved about $500 from what it would have cost at BestBuy and I didn't bother with the extended warranty. I figured that with the savings, I could buy a new camera if it came to that.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 8:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich
I figured that with the savings, I could buy a new camera if it came to that.
Hi,

In my (hardly ever humble) opinion, an extended warrantee on a piece of electronic gear is never worthwhile. There are few problems in electronics stuff that don't show up very quickly, so the manufacturer's warrantee will take care of those. Then, consider the fact that you can buy essentially the same features for about half the price after 18 months or so, and the cost of the insurance starts to approach the cost of just replacing the thing if something bad develops. Unless self-insuring makes you unbearably nervous, it's the best way to go.

Regards,

Steve Price
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 5:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Forget the BestBuy warranty...they'll say ANYTHING to get you to buy it (yes, if the camera is dropped, and then run over by a car we'll fix it), and when it comes time when you need to use it they say anything to weasle out of it, "Sorry, the warranty doesn't cover that." (even though they told you implicitly when you bought it that the extended warranty does cover that type of damage, like dropping it).

If you want a good extended warranty, get the one directly from Olympus...at least you know it will be fixed properly if there's a problem, rather than by someone trying to fix it with a sledgehammer! Sure Olympus won't promise the world like Best Buy does, but at least you know what is or isn't covered.
Mike it's not true, I bought a Nikon digicam From BB with 4 years replacement warranty, 1 year later, something wrong with the camera, I brought it back to the store, no question asked, they order me a new one(came within 3 days to my front door), since the price has dropped on that camera at that time, I also got the different money back, plus the $100 rebate from Nikon apply for that period. Their policy means what they said, remember It's just not a warranty policy, its' a replacement warrranty. I've been there, done it and also got more than a T-shirt.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 5:49 PM   #10

Your best bet on this camera is the deal from BHphoto.com, $649 (USA warranty) plus free 3 days fedex delivery, check it out on their website, BH is the best photo dealer on the net, you can't go wrong with them.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote