Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:42 PM   #1

I have an Olympus C-7000 ( new to me) I love to take scenery pictures and I am learning on my own. Can someone help me? I am getting too much white on my background shots. The sky pictures are also not that great either. This also is happening with my pictures on the beach and the image also do not have skin tones..more white there also. Any help will be very appreciated.
Thank you.
link to pictures::

http://www.geocities.com/natures_bea...4/p7020955.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/natures_bea...4/p7020974.jpg
nature2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:42 PM   #2

From the Exif info , you are shooting manual wide open at 1/40 and 1/60 of a second, so assuming it was a sunny day, you are letting far too much light into the sensor.

Use your cameras histograms (it has 2 iirc) and adjust either the shutter or aperature until you get a balance where the histogram is not peaking to the extreme left (dark, under exposed) or to the right (light, over exposed)

The 2nd histogram (called the Direct histogram) , should show you in red and blue the over and under exposed regions.

You may want to choose one semi auto mode such as shutter or aperature mode , chose a value and learn how the camera adjusts the other to get a balanced exposure.

Exif also says you have contrast, saturation and sharpness at "hard", not sure what that means in your cameras context, but don't set those settings to any extreme value unless you really mean it , so since they can be set from -5 to +5 check you have not set them all to a high value, try resetting them to 0 if not there already and then experiment with low values until you get a setting you like.

Remember sharpening (for example) can be added in post processing, if the camera has already over sharpened a pic, there is not a lot you can do, which is why many people shoot slightly soft in camera and correct later.

Edit , just noticed you are (or appear to be) shooting at ISO 100, I believe your camera has a lower ISO of 80, since you are hardly struggling for light you might as well use the lowest ISO available , since the higher the ISO the more noise introduced.

Also a nice little page to show you some of the relationships between ISO , shutter speed and aperature, just for fun but it helps with the basics..

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html

Review of theOly C-7000

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...c7000z-review/

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:52 PM   #3

Your EXIF data shows that you have your camera set for +2EV (2 whole stops overexposed!!!!) Plus the shot was taken with manual exposure instead of auto, and you have your contrast and set to "Hard" You are washing out your photos by to much overexposure. It's a wonder that you didn't get a pure white blank shot with nothing showing.

Reset your camera to normal EV and try the same shots on Auto-exposure instead of manual. Then you can fine tune your exposure in small steps to get the color, contrast, and saturation that you like. The C7000 can take some get shots; just take the time to learnyour menus and camera settings.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

Can the Oly actually setEVin manual mode ?

On the cameras I am familiar with the Sony H series, the EV bias baseline can be set in semi-auto mode as normal, but in manual mode the EV switches to reporting the exposure, ie it becomes a light meter and reports the exposure from -2EV to +2 EV depending on the scene and the settings of the shutter/aperature and iso.

Just a minor point of interest (feel free to ignore!) as I have never used an Oly..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the information and I am doing much better with my pictures now. Learniing with every picture I take.
nature2004 is offline   Reply With Quote